Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High tech thief?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hope you are enjoying your Magnum :)

Loving it! Taking it to Wodonga tomorrow, so a friend can look at a few houses. She wants to re-locate.
Clocked up 21,400 kms so far.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
All other cars I’ve had didn’t have such fuelling foibles... fuel cap can’t be clipped onto fuel lid and lid can’t simple be pushed closed if the car has locked. Silly design...

Too much tech when a manual lever on the floor down by the drivers door has worked so well on all other cars I’ve owned.

Technology is supposed to make things simpler...

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
So just push the clip in and it'll still shut even when cars locked?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Interestingly a lot of Chubby SS blokes have been retro fitting the the fuel cap lock solenoid. As the Chevy doesn't have them standard.
Personally I like it and think it's a good design. I don't want some silly lever I have to pull. I As mentioned, I just fill the tank, push the button on the rear door, or key, then close the flap.
@Skylarking you know there's a hook to hang the cap cable on right? Been that way since 2006 VE.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
All other cars I’ve had didn’t have such fuelling foibles... fuel cap can’t be clipped onto fuel lid and lid can’t simple be pushed closed if the car has locked. Silly design...

Too much tech when a manual lever on the floor down by the drivers door has worked so well on all other cars I’ve owned.

Technology is supposed to make things simpler...

Now you're complaining about the fuel filler door? It's not that hard and there is a hook to hang your cap on. It isn't that hard! It's not a silly design. The pin locks the cap when the car is locked. Very simple. Just push the pin in like myself and others have previously advised.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
My 99 base model audi had the central lock fuel cap but no 8s autolock so no issue.

Glad theres a way round it though if I can get it right.

Tried this morning and the lid sat flush but didn't latch.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My 99 base model audi had the central lock fuel cap but no 8s autolock so no issue.

Glad theres a way round it though if I can get it right.

Tried this morning and the lid sat flush but didn't latch.
It sounds like you're pushing in the wrong pin. It's the one on the side that goes through a hole in the inner cap flap, not the one with the rubber boot covering it. That one is spring loaded and pushes the cap open.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
So just push the clip in and it'll still shut even when cars locked?

The pin locks the cap when the car is locked. Very simple. Just push the pin in like myself and others have previously advised.

Ha, I'm on my second VF and never realised you could just push the pin in. I've been f_cking around with the keyfob after fuelling for the last three years..! *facepalm...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
yeah @426Cuda I know there is a little hook but in my opinion it’s not as polished a solution as I’ve had in other cars. It’s just an opinion on the design based on personal preference.

@Anthony121 not a complaint, I’m just expressing my opinion as an individual. After all, we are al individuals.

It sounds like you're pushing in the wrong pin.
You made me laugh as that reminded me of Steve Jobs infamous quote :p