Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Higher rpm torque converter

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
after my 12 months warranty is up on my tranny I'm thinking soon of getting a shift kit and a RPM torque converter.
But can anyone tell me what a higher RPM one would do what do they actually do there not to cheap so what advantages do they bring?.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
are u talking a bout a stall??
if so they basicly change the revs that the torque converter start producing drive eg: 2500 stall wont produce drive into the auto until around 2300 rpm and will be fully ingaged at about 2500 rpm
there great fun when doing skids

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
It's got a little bit of power before the rated RPM and it will still move just not much, even if your foot is flat to the floor.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
So it will feel more torque to the max torque rpm?.
So will it rev higher off the mark when taking off from a dead stop? like your revving it but your not?.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the simplest explanation (while not entirely correct) is that a stallie is like a clutchless manual. because an auto trans doesnt have a clutch to disengage the transmission from the engine is uses a converter.
the converter allows the car to come to a complete stop whilst the engine can still run (ie, not stall).
if you were to try and rev the engine at a complete stop you would have to press harder on the brakes so it wouldnt move, because as you rev more torque is passed from the converter, throught the trans and onto your back wheels.
a high stall converter (or a stallie) raises the stall point so less torque is distributed to the wheels when reved at under the stall point (ie, a 2500rpm stallie) and thus the braking force is much less than it would be if you did this on a standard converter, allowing you to "stall up" the converter so when brake pressure is released and further rpm (acceleration) is applied a much higher amount of torque is passed onto the wheels.
all of this sudden torque (instead of gradual torque with a lower stall point converter) allows for very quick take offs (and burnouts,lol). the best stall point for a stallie is just before you max torque point, and thats why most high stalls are around the 2200-3000rpm mark (and even more for serious drag beasts).
hope that helps your understanding, it is all a bit confusing at first, but once you get your head around it, it makes alot of sence.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
sircruisealotVS said:
the simplest explanation (while not entirely correct) is that a stallie is like a clutchless manual. because an auto trans doesnt have a clutch to disengage the transmission from the engine is uses a converter.
the converter allows the car to come to a complete stop whilst the engine can still run (ie, not stall).
if you were to try and rev the engine at a complete stop you would have to press harder on the brakes so it wouldnt move, because as you rev more torque is passed from the converter, throught the trans and onto your back wheels.
a high stall converter (or a stallie) raises the stall point so less torque is distributed to the wheels when reved at under the stall point (ie, a 2500rpm stallie) and thus the braking force is much less than it would be if you did this on a standard converter, allowing you to "stall up" the converter so when brake pressure is released and further rpm (acceleration) is applied a much higher amount of torque is passed onto the wheels.
all of this sudden torque (instead of gradual torque with a lower stall point converter) allows for very quick take offs (and burnouts,lol). the best stall point for a stallie is just before you max torque point, and thats why most high stalls are around the 2200-3000rpm mark (and even more for serious drag beasts).
hope that helps your understanding, it is all a bit confusing at first, but once you get your head around it, it makes alot of sence.
Yes wonderful explanation thank you.
I like the sound of this:).
So instead of a flat take off at around 900rpm it will burn like hell straight off the mark like a VN S1 on roids?. Good for drags yes:) So what is the recommended for a engine to maybe be replaced soon but only mods are 8 month old tranny new tailshaft (soon to ad LSD and Shift kit) CAI New throttle body Hiflo cat Redback straight through Exhaust.
I must admit to loving the take off power and mid range speed around 60-80 and also down lower, I'm not the type of bloke that will hit high speeds of 130+. Unless i get to the drags.
So if the max Torque on a VP is 293Nm @ say 3600 anything under that will almost carry that amount off the mark yes?. But over that will it act just the same as normal?. This sounds like a little 1psi turbo jumped into the car:).

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
TRACX1 has a 7000rpm stall converter.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
i have a 2500 stall in my hz and it feels like the auto is slipping untill it hits about 2000rpm then it has about half drive when it hits about 2500 it has full drive. when you punch it the wheels spin bad from standing still (no brakes)

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
Stall converters are built for drags so putting them in streeters is not usually recommended. Unless you spend all of your spare time challenging people to drags you don't really need one. Plus they are very pricey so if your talking bang for bucks not such a good idea.then again not to completly bag them, they are good for people who do drag alot, you can lay some massive burnouts by cranking the high rpm at gear shift and you don't need a tacho to check revs...