Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jakefromtopend

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
I am from the Northern Territory and have next to no experience with Petrol cars besides servicing

My cars is a 2008 WM Caprice with a stock L98 with what I believe is aftermarket LPG setup installed but decommissioned.

I’m looking for some advice and guidance on upgrades specific to highway driving
Also things maintenance wise to look out for or fix now.

I wish to set a budget to save to for the upgrades. I wanted to cam it but with economy in mind. OTR and under drive balancer kit. Headers and exhaust which stock already sounds good to me but looks a bit dented.

Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Slick_Vp_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV M6
I am from the Northern Territory and have next to no experience with Petrol cars besides servicing

My cars is a 2008 WM Caprice with a stock L98 with what I believe is aftermarket LPG setup installed but decommissioned.

I’m looking for some advice and guidance on upgrades specific to highway driving
Also things maintenance wise to look out for or fix now.

I wish to set a budget to save to for the upgrades. I wanted to cam it but with economy in mind. OTR and under drive balancer kit. Headers and exhaust which stock already sounds good to me but looks a bit dented.

Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Hi mate,
I’d recommend a set of extractors or headers to go with your OTR, Pacemaker are highly recommended but there are a few good brands out. Regarding the OTR you can decide to retain the Mass Air Flow (MAF) or remove it which will require a MAFless tune. You could upgrade the exhaust with a 2.5” aftermarket option too, bit of extra power without a loss in economy.

Regarding cams, there are a lot of options and plenty that still retain good fuel economy, I’d suggest having a look at the VCM website. They give a good explanation of each cam and their specifications, something you’ll need to know a bit about when talking to your mechanic. You’ll need a dyno tune after camming too, an important factor in how your car will perform, make sure you tell your tuner how you drive and how the car will be used.

Being the L98 it is easier/cheaper to fit a cam, consider perhaps having your lifters replaced while camming, also roller rockers and valve springs while it’s all apart. These will help with reliability after installing a cam. Hope I’ve helped mate, there are plenty of experts here who will hopefully also recommend some things. Cheers.