Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hingo's VZ Calais

aussie_cruzin

got boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV Ute
nice looking car mate not sure about the rims but the car is nice

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hingo

The good thing about VZ Calais rims is that they look like nothing else. I used to think they used the Series 2 VY rims without any changes until my son pointed the difference out to me one day.

I put my VY rims on my car because I have attempted to update the Berlina to look like the Calais, so the Series 2 rims were a must.. but just after I purchased them, I saw a set of VZ rims for $750 with tyres at a wrecker and almost had second thoughts.

I'm with you - it's a VZ and those rims belong there.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Hey Hingo, you have more followers. I love the standard look of the VZ Calais. I have had a VS S Pack for the last 3 years and I have now upgraded the daily from the VS to a VZ Calais as per the pics below. The rims are definately not a 1st choice if I was buying an aftermarket rim, but I think they suit the car 100%. Im not worried about individuality and rareness of the style of rim, I just think they suit the car very nice. I have only owned my VZ Calais for a month or two and the only mod I will be undertaking is dark tink. Its only my daily, but a very luxurious and comfy daily now. I love the electrics etc.

PS the 10 sec VL Berlina Turbo in my garage is my fun car, so power upgrade isn't needed on the Calais. Factory spec all the way except for addition of tint.

2nlwoxv.jpg

imqdj4.jpg

Regards
Matt

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thanks Matt and Calaber. I reckon the rims are unique and classy. I'm glad I have some supporters out there :)

I often admire your car Calaber. You have done very tasteful modifications to it and it looks fantastic as a result.

Matt, I love your Calais. The VZ Calais looks awesome in white. I love the contrast you get with the white and the dark tail lights. It will look even better when you get the tints. My tint is pretty dark. I have no idea what it is, I thought they were just that dark from factory but maybe the previous owner got it done. When I was looking for a Calais, I was hoping for white, silver or that light blue. The only VZ I found for sale in Canberra was silver so I had to buy it :) Good luck with your car, I'm sure you'll love driving it every day like I do.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
Im not sure everyone will agree with me on this though. I wanted a white car as they are so much easier to keep looking clean in my opinion especially with a daily. But the other thing Im sure people have different opinions on is the trim in the car. I am not a leather liking person. And considering the VZ Calais was standard fitment with leather, I was afaid I wasn't going to find a white car with velour trim. But I did. I managed to find one after a month or two of tentatively looking around and seeing what was about.

I know that lots of people swap trims for leather from cloth, but I love the plush velour and prefer the feel of it especially when it doesn't get hot in summer and cold in winter like leather sometimes can. Just thought I would share that. Pic below for you viewing of my interior.

PS Hingo, yes i love driving it every day like yourself. Silver would have probably have been my 2nd choice after white.

I have found my perfect daily. White, Velour, Im not a woodgrain fan (woodgrain free), already a little more sporty without me having to modify eg lowered, mags, higher output engine. As far as my daily goes, it doesn't get any better :)

2d7j95t.jpg

11kvwxc.jpg

292twtj.jpg

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I must say that I love leather interiors though. I had a leather interior in my old VR Calais and I don't think I could go back. When looking for my VZ, I wanted the bone coloured leather. I was lucky that the car I found had it because black leather seems to be the most common. As nice as velour is, it wouldn't be my choice. Unfortunately I have a few black marks on the suede part on the glove box lid from my girlfriends handbag. I need to find out how to clean it without ruining it. Suede can be tricky to clean.

It is quite rare to see a VZ Calais without leather though so thanks for showing us HoldenOnn. Looks nice and comfy in there. You should start your own ride thread, I'd be interested to see more.

I gave my interior a bit of a clean and took some photos today. Here are some pics:

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

interior3.jpg

interior4.jpg

Last edited:
S

StealthCalais

Wow! Two fans of the VZ Calais wheels! I must be dreaming! ;) Here I was thinking I was the only person in the world who likes them.

I like VY Series 2 rims as well Calaber. I prefere the VZ's because they don't have those funny little round indentations on them but they are still nice classy wheels.

Yeah, agree completely! I think youve got to own one to appreciate the wheels, theres just something about them that grows on you... there like big choppy blades... they look good rolling past slowly in reflections! My only gripe with them is that there 17", its driving me crazy cause I really love them... but they are just too small for what I would like to see on there. Hence I'm looking round for some 19"s - but rego is due soon so might have to wait a while...

Also.... gotta love that interior! Contrast between black and ivory is insane!

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Good news. I removed the black scratch marks from the light bone coloured suede by using a pencil eraser! It turned out really well. I think the eraser just gently pulls away the marked fibres. Wouldn't want to to it too much but I'm happy with how it looks because now it is barely noticeable. I may use some scotchguard to protect it from marking from now on, or get my girlfriend to put her handbag in the boot ;)

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry mate for hijacking your thread lol. I should start my own. I have only just joined this forum plus just got my Calais so was excited to put up pics. I may start my thread about both my cars soon :)