Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hingo's VZ Calais

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
You see plenty of them in ACT. They seem to be the govvy workers car of choice, myself included :)

You are probably right there though ShanghaiVZCalais, I'd image a lot of them were ex-government cars and they would be sold at auctions all over the place. Mine however was bought from a dealer here in ACT when it was new and I think it has only had one owner.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
just a question to u guys,wat do ya's think of the shanghai colour on the calais,u know the dark red i think that is the best colour out of any of em,i was guna go 4 the martini but that was 2 common,i got mine in june last year 4 $28000 all up then 2 months later they were down 2 $22 $23 grand,so thats a bit dissapointing...

I love Shanghai. When I first went looking at Calais with a view to buying one, the first one was a Series 2 VY in Shanghair with black leather - it won me over instantly but the other half is not a lover of deep reds (and the dealer wasn't interested in offering a reasonable trade either), so we continued our search.

I'm interested to see that a number of you guys have said you're not fans of Martini. I really like my Martini Berlina/Calais, (even though it must be the most common colour on VY's), but if my car was Shanghair, I would be stoked. Love the colour.

If there is one thing that can be said for the VY 2 (not the Series 1 - that Series was very boring in appearance) and VZ Calais, it's that they really look classy and are obviously the luxury short wheelbase version of their respective models.

The VE Calais and even the Calais V are too underdone for me. The basic VE design is sound, but I think the Calais are too close to the basic Omega in appearance and lack the addition styling features and finesse in the design that spell out "Calais".

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Yeah I agree Calaber. I parked my car next to a VE Calais at a Hotel in Wollongong when I was there for a mates wedding a few months back and compared them side by side. I am biased but I though the VZ was a better looking car overall. The lower lips and skirting that made the Series 2 VY and VZ stand out seems to be missing from the VE. I still think the VE is a nice car but it just needs more to differentiate it from the Omega. Unfortunately the VE Calais driver "doored" my car several times before attempting to drive off. I wasn't impressed.

eXphoid

I have no license yet xD.
Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
VZ executive & VS Equipe S2 Ecotec
You car is freaking nice :w00t:
And that cream interior turns me on :king:

I love how it's so clean and simple.

jazza_mate

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais V6
The vz calais have the 5 speed auto don't they? Do they have the steering wheel paddles like the sv6's?

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
The vz calais have the 5 speed auto don't they? Do they have the steering wheel paddles like the sv6's?

Yep and I rarely use them. The only time I touch them is on steep downhill sections where they are quite handy.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Nice VZ Calais and good on you for leaving the body and wheels stock as they look great just as they are.
If you were to change the wheels but wanted to keep the same theme you could fit some 19" VY Senator Sigs.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thanks surfwagon. I'm happy to keep it stock for now but Sigs do look nice if I ever went for an alternative.

I snapped the lid catch on the small storage compartment in the centre console last night cleaning the interior. I could have murdered somone. It seriously looks like a pain in the arse to replace. Any other Calais owners had to replace this? I'm talking about the little storage comparment where the cup holders are on the other models like Executive.

I made up a replacement catch with super glue, cable ties and whatever else I could find and it is back in working order but its more of a temporary fix. Looks like you would have to dismantle the whole centre console to replace it.