Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hints for the 1/4 mile

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Well considering no one has said it yet I will say my part. Yes these are fairly standard things how ever some times every little bit helps. Make sure your not carrying any excess weight with you. Heck you could go crazy and pull the spare tire and jack out if you wanted and re fit it when your done. Half a tank of fuel could help as well (at a rough guess half a tank is around 30 kilos where as a full tank is around 60 kilos.)

In the end it's you who will find the optimum shift and launch point's and what work's best. As hard as it may be you shouldn't need to touch red line in a fairly standard commodore.

Oh and also. No matter what any one says just go at your own pace. If it take's you 10 trips down before you start getting good times then it takes 10 trips.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
As said, take your time.
You will be nervous as all hell, try and pick a test & tune or street meet to go to, you'll feel a little less under pressure as it is more of a fun atmosphere, even the best of them f**k up from time to time and if so, this is the place and time to do it.

Now, onto the car.
Get as much weight out as want, I generally drop the spare, take out all the tools, clean out the centre console & glovebox, take seatcovers and floor mats out. It's free hp, all that **** adds up.
Make sure your car is serviced well and has no leaks, make sure its as clean as you can get it.
Since you haven't been out before, I'd say just go and do what feels right in the car, see what times you pull.

If you are going to change ANYTHING on your car, do one thing at a time or adjust only by a little bit.

Most importantly, just go and have fun with it.

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
its a ute so im thinking taking tail gate off, spare tire out, sub out. and run 1/2 tank of fuel. see how that goes. i dont really know what u mean by drag radials but there not street legal, there just for track use ( says on side of the tire ).

ill goto a test and tune for sure. any1 know how much they are? and how many runs you usually get?

ive got a fairly big cam, so i think for most power ill have to get to limiter. what gear will i get to over the line? 3rd or 4th? should i stay in 3rd if the lines not far away rather then changing 4th just b4 line?

thanks every1 for your help so far :)

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Tell us exactly what brand your tyres are, its not recommended you run a bias ply tyre (traditional slicks, Sportsmans etc) with radials (normal street tyres) on the front.
Most good tracks will pick that up, but you don't want to get caught out trying to run a tyre that isn't permitted.
Shedding weight is a good idea.
If you launch off the limiter you will haze your tyres, unless they're good enough to hold, then you'll break the next weakest link.
Just try driving it off the line for a start and take it up a little each run. You'll soon find the rpm range where you can successfully launch at.
As far as holding gear, if you need to change, then do it. No good bouncing off the limiter for the last 50 metres of the track, remember, if you punch the next gear, it will get you going that little bit quicker.
The street meets in T'ville are usually $30 and you need closed in shoes, long pants, long sleeve shirt and an approved helmet.
Townsville is not ANDRA affiliated, so meets at your track could be a little bit tighter on scrutineering.

Have fun with it.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Leave the tail gate on. Mythbusters proved taking it off does nothing.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
If he doesnt have a hard cover (which should come off as well) then removing the tailgate is more of a weight saving than an aerodynamic improvement

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
If its a "true" street car then stay in street trim imo.

lol,yeah leave the gate on.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Leaving the tail gate up negates any weight penalty you may have as there is better aerodynamics with it up and it also helps to push the rear of the car down.

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
well i might have to try a few runs with it off and on. :D see how it goes.