Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hints / tips wanted: floor restoration

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
i just did it the cheap way and used a chisel, sore hands for some days just get a mate around to help, i think its a good 20-30kg or something in deadner, atleast not sure cant remember, but the sound difference isnt that bad to be honest i didnt notice a big difference, but i am use to it now, but people make it out to be real bad and everything.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
i just did it the cheap way and used a chisel, sore hands for some days just get a mate around to help, i think its a good 20-30kg or something in deadner, atleast not sure cant remember, but the sound difference isnt that bad to be honest i didnt notice a big difference, but i am use to it now, but people make it out to be real bad and everything.

yeh, going from carpet+deadener+thick foam underlay to metal floor and a thin coat of chassis black on the bmw wasnt too bad. can hear everything hitting the underside, but overall sound isnt too bad during cruising.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Thanks Jason

Heat gun and some thinners and a mask will be coming home with me tomorrow I think.

Yes just don't use the heat gun anytime soon after the thinners :) or you would be inside a very unhappy fireball

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
hehe just light the thinners up or as jason said cut out the floor pan and remake it from clean road signs

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'm pretty sure road signs are made of sturdier stuff than the Holden floorpan, and would be heavier :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Doesn't need primer..........ever read the label or only the front of the can:p All non-ferrous metals need to be primed with etch primer, so aluminium and its alloys.
Unless your VQ is made from cast iron.........which would account for the extra weight, lol.

The Commodore subframe is aluminium? I always thought it was steel :p

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Its a type of alloy, meaning 2 or more elements involved in the panel.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Many alloys still contain a decent amount of iron compound :)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Many alloys still contain a decent amount of iron compound :)
Still an alloy though. For it to not require primer must be a straight steel (mild, carbon) or an iron (cast).