Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hints / tips wanted: floor restoration

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Interesting. I wonder what the paint companies would have to say on this one. You see, my understanding has always been that a one-step hammertone paint only needs to be primed on non-ferrous metals.

And according to the wiki click I just did:

"The term non-ferrous is used to indicate metals other than iron and alloys that do not contain an appreciable amount of iron."

Which implies to me, that an alloy containing iron would be plenty ferrous enough. *shrugs*

Either way, it's a floor. And if you're concerned about saving weight, don't worry about what the paint's going to look like in two years! lol

400px-Iron.JPG

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I've actually considered removing my pedal pads, and gluing down some of that skateboard grip material onto the bare metal of my pads. Just one layer.

Then I can slide the pedal pads straight back over it for legality, and remove the pads for some more control when I hit the hills or the track :)

A good sheet of that skateboard grip stuff may go well in the footwell for anyone not running carpet. May be cheaper than grippy paint too!

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Secure the mat with double sided velcro :)

Or if the retail car mats are too heavy, get $1.99 door mats from Ikea. Light, cheap, durable.

Rhino Racing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn/vp Speedway Street Sedan
Easiest way we have found yet!

Mate, i have done this several times and the best way we have found is to get a bluntish air chisel and use that. (Yes it doesnt sound right but trust me it works) you obvioiusly do not press hard on it in any corners etc cause it will then work like a can opener.:bang:
The deadener will break out in large plates if you use it correctly. With a good compressor behind it to keep air supply up you can do a car completely in about 2 hours.use Ecetone or thinners or petrol to wipe down the small amounts of glue that are remaining... u will find most of the glue will still be stuck to the hardener.:thumbsup:
Make sure you wear ear protection and safety glasses too!
As far as weight goes, it will 2/3rd fill a regular house bin (not a wheelie bin) and it weighs around 18-20kgs.
Good luck, let us know how ya go! ;)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
One day I'll get around to finishing this.. but at the moment I've been concentrating on a mate's VR Senator 215i and pretty well ignoring the VN. Fitting a set of thermo fans to it but that's about all the excitement of late :(