Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hints / tips wanted: floor restoration

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Ripped up the carpet in the VN, in the cabin and the boot. I have decided that the sound deadener is coming off, probably both sides, and the floor will be finished in a nice clean coat of white paint.

There is a hell of a lot of prep work to do first.. just wondering if anyone can offer any advice or has undertaken a similar project in the past.

At the moment the plan is:
Chisel off deadener pads from inside cabin
Finish floor with wire wheel
White primer (many spraycans :))
Alpine white - again probably spraycans, not sure how many coats I will need and therefore whether it will be worth buying a decent spraygun
Clear??? - want a good finish that can be polished if needed....

Someone tell me if I'm completely off the mark..

Sam

Last edited:

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
Why?
Why would you do that, vn's sound like you are riding in a tin can at the best of times.
Removing the deadener would make it a real uncomfortable car to be in.
I dought you would have many people want to get in it a second time.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Why?
Why would you do that, vn's sound like you are riding in a tin can at the best of times.
Removing the deadener would make it a real uncomfortable car to be in.
I dought you would have many people want to get in it a second time.

its a vn, why would they want to get in it the first time!!

for the deadener, goto bunnings and buy a $20 heatgun, and a scraper.

or, ive seen people have success with dry ice, which is supposed to take the glue off with the deadener(heatgun doesnt do this)

get a lot of prepsol or thinners for cleanup its gonna get messy

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Thanks guys

Centy, because there is weight to be saved! Nobody refined ever rides in my car anyway man :)
**hopes mrs doesn't read this thread**

I'm hunting for kilograms to ditch. The car will end up being essentially track-spec, aiming for a stint racing later on:)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I think hes aiming for the shiny clean race car look, inside and out. Carpet is just old stinky wet dusty dirty mould and virus infested chemicals in the end :) once you've spent 2 days scarping deadner off you'll realise how evil it is to produce that is too let alone stick it in every car Holden make. I salute Ford for having none in the new eco freindly euro cars. Sure they make a bit of noise bit it's well worth not having it in the car for the weight/fuel/world saving, it's very responsible. P.S only remove the deadner not the calk in the seems since that's all that holds a Commodore together really is that glue :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Savage, paint the floor with a big tin and a brush/roller :) You'll save a lot of money (pressure packs are expensive), and it'll come up fine!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I think hes aiming for the shiny clean race car look, inside and out. Carpet is just old stinky wet dusty dirty mould and virus infested chemicals in the end :) once you've spent 2 days scarping deadner off you'll realise how evil it is to produce that is too let alone stick it in every car Holden make. I salute Ford for having none in the new eco freindly euro cars. Sure they make a bit of noise bit it's well worth not having it in the car for the weight/fuel/world saving, it's very responsible. P.S only remove the deadner not the calk in the seems since that's all that holds a Commodore together really is that glue :)
You're right :) that's exactly what I'm aiming for. I'm glad somebody understands my newfound hatred for body deadener! I will be careful of the caulk, I hadn't thought of that :p
Savage, paint the floor with a big tin and a brush/roller :) You'll save a lot of money (pressure packs are expensive), and it'll come up fine!
That is not a bad idea. Now I just need someone to tell me what primer to use :)

I've actually been thinking HVLP gun rather than pressure packs, still better to go roller or brush you think Morton?