Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hit a gutter; Advice?

Commy1608

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman Vt commodore
So long story short was being a typical degenerate and hit a gutter at around 40-50ks on a slight angle. When I was driving back my steering was extremely loose and my alignment was completely out. Also at around 50-60ks could hear a sort of squealing from the front right wheel. Was thinking it could be the wheel scrapping on the caliper? From what I can tell off a quick glance it isn't the axel thats bent, I'm hoping it's just a sway bar (fingers crossed). But my tyres are the slightest bit to the side off my rims as well.. barely noticeable though.. any ideas on how much I'm looking at for repairs? Doubt it's a ride off considering the speed I was going but could be possible as well. Took a quick photo of the sway bars and looks bent on the right compared to left

(right)
Snapchat-780085315.jpg

(Left)
Snapchat-1475044022.jpg

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Highly doubt sway bar damage.
Possible damage to
Struts
Lower control arms
Cross member
Wheels
If you are insured you might want to consider talking to the insurer about the cyclist you swerved to miss.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Swaybar looks normal, those slight kinks in the link pins are supposed to be there.

Squealing is either a wheel bearing, or in my experience the squealing usually means bent strut because the wheel in any normal position (even with a bent tie rod) typically doesn't have the ability to rub on anything unless you're running large/wide wheels or low offset, but now the geometry has changed which does give it the ability to rub on something.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
$2000 to $3000 should cover it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have it checked at a mech workshop. If it just the strut grab a SH one from the wrecker and have it rebuilt. Last strut i had rebuilt and installed was about 70 bucks plus parts that i supplied. Parts will be around 250 bucks from eBay.

Commy1608

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman Vt commodore
I had another look today and reckon you's are right about the wheel bearing. There was a fair amount of fluid on the discs that looked like it came from the bearing. Going to chuck it in the shop in the next few days and see what they think. Clearly no mechanic myself but, do you's reckon I'd be able to get away with doing majority of the work myself? Other then a wheel alignment obviously.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
firstly if steering is damaged and feels loose you should not drive it until it has been inspected by a competent person
then drive it slowly to mechanics

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you have fluid on the rotors then the rack could be damaged.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Have your car towed to a mechanic. If you have fluid on your rotors, your brake pads will also be contaminated and stopping power GREATLY reduced. It’s not safe for you, or other road users to drive the car. Play it safe mate.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I had another look today and reckon you's are right about the wheel bearing. There was a fair amount of fluid on the discs that looked like it came from the bearing. Going to chuck it in the shop in the next few days and see what they think. Clearly no mechanic myself but, do you's reckon I'd be able to get away with doing majority of the work myself? Other then a wheel alignment obviously.

The wheel bearings are sealed units on both VS and VT's.....You wouldn't see fluid, as they are filled with grease.....And if you can see grease, you would see an obvious split....And if you have split them, you would have been doing more than 40 or 50 KPH and a good chance you would have bent a strut. Looking at the pictures supplied, there doesn't appear to be any obvious signs of a bent strut, as there is no clean looking areas around the the strut, especially where the larger portion of the strut meets the narrower portion.

To me, it is quite possible you have bent the rack end, which in turn has damaged the seal inside the rack, causing the fluid loss.....But that is only a guess....Having a shop look at it, is the better option, as it can be checked with hands and eyes, rather than eyes alone