Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hit by unsupervised learner

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
In S.A, if the damage is above $1,000 or might be $3,000, the cops must be called.....So that means they can be asswipes and give you nadda on the spot, but when Mr Plod arrives they will soon have a change of heart that benefits you.

When I had my car hit, the mole pulled up, then decided to bolt....Luckily my youngest had the phone in hand and took a couple of nice piccies....I went and reported the accident and as the copper was taking his own happy snappies of the damage, the mole pulled into the car park....When she was pointed out upon arrival, with phone pictures on hand, she had to give her details to me.....It did peeve her off, but stiff sheet....

v8fazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I had a bloke hit me on the freeway and only give his license number. Refused to give name or address. Had to go through police, and they had to contact him so that they could get his permission for the police to pass his full name and address onto me.

I eventually got his details and his insurance paid out. Insurance told me that they couldn’t do a thing without his name and address. Apparently licence number or number plate are insufficient, so a claim cannot be lodged.

I was told this is due to privacy laws - they cannot investigate this on your behalf.

EYY can you please send me a private message?

Thank you :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
In S.A, if the damage is above $1,000 or might be $3,000, the cops must be called.....So that means they can be asswipes and give you nadda on the spot, but when Mr Plod arrives they will soon have a change of heart that benefits you.

When I had my car hit, the mole pulled up, then decided to bolt....Luckily my youngest had the phone in hand and took a couple of nice piccies....I went and reported the accident and as the copper was taking his own happy snappies of the damage, the mole pulled into the car park....When she was pointed out upon arrival, with phone pictures on hand, she had to give her details to me.....It did peeve her off, but stiff sheet....
30 odd years or so ago, I had my XC Ute hit while it was parked outside a job I was on, by a young girl doing a u turn in the cul de sac. She hit the drivers door, but instead of stopping, she carried on and then got jammed against the wheel arch.
Anyway, I got her details as I don’t believe she had insurance. I took my car to the local panel shop where they told me it would cost a grand to fix it. I sourced a new front quarter panel, and a second hand door, the matching paint and so forth and worked out the cost to be $400, and if I did the job myself it would save the young girl a lot of money. And so I rang her number to let her know what I was willing to do, her mother answered telling me she wasn’t there and so I went on to explain to her what I was willing to do regarding the damage and the cost.
I only got to the part about what the panel shop was going to charge when she said rather irately and I quote, “you’ll never get a thousand dollars out of my daughter for that, and she told me it was only an old beat up Ute anyway!” (It was my much needed work car)
Needless to say, I felt like saying stick it and we’ll see what the police say, but I held my tongue and carried on with what I was prepared to do and that it would only cost her the price of the parts plus paint which was $400, and that I was willing to do the labour, to which she responded “that’s better, you might get that!” I then replied by saying “here’s my address, I expect a cheque in the mail within two days, (that’s when the postal delivery service worked) and if it’s not, you can expect that the police will be knocking on your door within three days.”
The cheque came and I fixed my car. My point though is, it was annoying to think that you can be as charitable and thoughtful to someone who obviously did the wrong thing, but hey we’ve all done it, and it’s nice to get a break from someone, only for them to jump up and down and make you feel like the bad guy.
Like I often say, “Life is such a drama, life is such a farce.”

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
30 odd years or so ago, I had my XC Ute hit while it was parked outside a job I was on, by a young girl doing a u turn in the cul de sac. She hit the drivers door, but instead of stopping, she carried on and then got jammed against the wheel arch.
Anyway, I got her details as I don’t believe she had insurance. I took my car to the local panel shop where they told me it would cost a grand to fix it. I sourced a new front quarter panel, and a second hand door, the matching paint and so forth and worked out the cost to be $400, and if I did the job myself it would save the young girl a lot of money. And so I rang her number to let her know what I was willing to do, her mother answered telling me she wasn’t there and so I went on to explain to her what I was willing to do regarding the damage and the cost.
I only got to the part about what the panel shop was going to charge when she said rather irately and I quote, “you’ll never get a thousand dollars out of my daughter for that, and she told me it was only an old beat up Ute anyway!” (It was my much needed work car)
Needless to say, I felt like saying stick it and we’ll see what the police say, but I held my tongue and carried on with what I was prepared to do and that it would only cost her the price of the parts plus paint which was $400, and that I was willing to do the labour, to which she responded “that’s better, you might get that!” I then replied by saying “here’s my address, I expect a cheque in the mail within two days, (that’s when the postal delivery service worked) and if it’s not, you can expect that the police will be knocking on your door within three days.”
The cheque came and I fixed my car. My point though is, it was annoying to think that you can be as charitable and thoughtful to someone who obviously did the wrong thing, but hey we’ve all done it, and it’s nice to get a break from someone, only for them to jump up and down and make you feel like the bad guy.
Like I often say, “Life is such a drama, life is such a farce.”

My incident didn't make me feel bad....I'm peeved because A) she took off from the initial prang, telling the misses(she was the one that got hit) to f off to begin with, as she was taking off from the prang

B) I took it to court, and she used the court system to drag out the envidable be winning...From that win, she racked off interstate, to which I tracked down her address, only to find out, if I wanted to do anything about getting my court ordered payment, I had to reapply to the court in the state she lived in and re-prove my case, at my expense.....

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Just identifying the vehicle rego isn't enough to identify the at fault party :rolleyes:

If you are insured and can provide the at fault drivers details, you shouldn't have any issues making a claim through your comprehensive policy*. But it's critically importance to identify the at fault driver, the vehicle, the location and the date and time of the crash...

Usually, in these cases, you wont have to pay excess though some insurance companies may want you to pay excess up front. When you are asked to pay an excess when not at fault, this excess is refunded when costs are recovered from the at fault party. But even in these cases where the costs aren't recovered, because the insurance company decides it's commercially not worth chasing some poor smuck through the courts, there is still hope. As the insurance company is not looking after your interests under the policy, I've successfully argued they aren't fullfuilling their implied promise to protect me in such cases. Since it's a commercial decision and usually involves amounts below some threshold, the policy wording is generally mute on such issues which works in your favour. In these cases, the insurance company can just as well carry the excess and any demurrage claims as well. As i've said, ive had success with such arguiments in the past but always, always, read the policy wording before making the claim and be prepared to push back when/if your own insurance company plays hardball.

* not sure what would happen if you only had 3rd party property insurance... whether the policy wording would allow you to claim the repairs against your insurance where the insurance company can recover costs from the identified at fault party... as always rtf policy book (pds)...
When I got hit in my VN by a driver going through a stop sign I only had third party insurance. She had insurance but was stonewalling me.

My insurance company didn’t want to know about it as it was outside the terms of service for third party insurance. I ended up having the make a visit to the local police office so they could give her a friendly call and remind her of her responsibilities. She got her act together after that.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
A few years back when I was rear ended the first thing I did as I got out of the car was use my phone to take a number of photos of the other driver getting out of their car, then I took photos of the damage to both cars and a photo of their licence.

Good thing as they told me they were insured which turned out to be a lie and they were no longer living at the address on their licence.

The old address was his parents place.

I had enough for an insurance investigator to track him down.

Not that I cared as my insurance would have paid whether they could find him or not.

The insurance company appreciated it though as it made their job of finding him much easier.

These kind of scenarios are so much better these days now that everyone has a camera in their pocket. Back in the day you couldn’t really provide any proof of what happened which left a high potential for it to end up in a he said she said situation.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
there was a insurance tv add where it said supply a number plate details after a not at fault accident this was a few years ago and (i forget which company) you will not pay any excess and retain your ncb
At the end of the day I would think that it’s up to the registered owner of that vehicle to identify the driver in charge at the time of an incident (same as speeding fines etc) but I know your insurance company tells you to get the drivers licence details and rego so I’ve always done that.

If the driver refuses to provide you their details or does a hit and run I’m sure the insurance company would be fine with a number plate only but it makes their job so much easier if they have the drivers licence number of the driver as it leave no ambiguity on who was driving.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
These kind of scenarios are so much better these days now that everyone has a camera in their pocket. Back in the day you couldn’t really provide any proof of what happened which left a high potential for it to end up in a he said she said situation.
A dash cam is even better these days :p

In Russia, insuracnce companies are supposedly rather tough at paying out, presumably so where there is no clear proof of who's at fault, to proove its not a staged accident, etc, which is why they are so popular in that country... And it's also why some people causght a video of the Chelyabinsk meteor expoding overhead as it entered earths atmosphere...

For those interested in rocks falling from the sky, see below:

or a funnier nerd report below:

Last edited: