Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hitting Rev Limiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
isnt a factory ls1 rev limiter around the 6g mark anyway?

i have no doubt they could take 6500rpm.. not full on tho

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Thank you vxcalais for just getting to the orinial simple question. All it would have taken was to say no bouncing off the limiter once in while is no good but did anyone just say that? No.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I

not too sure mate mine hasnt been factory for a while. U can rev these things to 6500rpm all day, apparently the bottom ends are pretty strong, just gotta get decent valve springs. Dunno how much the trans likes it but.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri

There limiter may be around the 6g mark, but you really give it to your car, do you upshift everytime it hits the limiter, or well before it when youve reached the end of the power band for that gear, let alone bouncing it off the limiter, of removing the limiter and revving it even further, then upshifting.:bang:
Perfect example, V8 supercars, if you've ever watched really close at the in car cams, most drivers are shifting up around the 6300-6500mark, and how much are thier engines worth, compared to your run of the mill LS1's???

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
Thank you vxcalais for just getting to the orinial simple question. All it would have taken was to say no bouncing off the limiter once in while is no good but did anyone just say that? No.

i dont think its all that bad though mate, everyday would not be a good idea but once in a while cant hurt. my last car was a cammed ecotec and that copped a flogging every now and then and is still going strong with 250,000 plus on the clock.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
There limiter may be around the 6g mark, but you really give it to your car, do you upshift everytime it hits the limiter, or well before it when youve reached the end of the power band for that gear, let alone bouncing it off the limiter, of removing the limiter and revving it even further, then upshifting.:bang:
Perfect example, V8 supercars, if you've ever watched really close at the in car cams, most drivers are shifting up around the 6300-6500mark, and how much are thier engines worth, compared to your run of the mill LS1's???

well there u go mate, they rev there engine to 6500rpm every single time, so one race sees them hit the limiter more then any street car is going to do in its whole life, and how often do u see a v8 supercar engine compleatly blow up? i dont watch them but it cant be that often. So how is spinning a normal engine that hard every once in a while going to be that bad for it.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001

There is no benefit to rev the car that far, unless you have a cam, heads, where the power curve has been shifted higher rpm range. The rev limiter can be adjusted, i am not sure if it can be totally removed though. The springs i believe are the main problem with these vehicles, they are a rev limiter in themselves, having a low spring pressure, meaning you may get coil bind, where the valves can turn, or not return back quick enough which in a worst case the valves go though the piston or something else........

The reason i believe i hit it was due to the 1.95 ratio rockers, where Yelle Terra specifically tell you not to exceeed the limiter or rev too high (with the stock springs), but it didnt sound too good just sitting near or on it, with a fully loaded car............wont try that again with a heavy load.

Status
Not open for further replies.