Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hitting Rev Limiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Hey guys was talking to guy and he said its good once a month or so to just bounce it off the limiter once to get rid of all the crap built up. Just questioning whether i would have to take it all the way up there and im sure it wont hurt doing it but just wanna make sure. And just would like to get conformation of this..
Thanks

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
its extreamly bad to just bounce it off the rev limiter while there is no load on the engine (free reving it) the rev limiter is there for a reason and i dont think there is anyone here that has not hit it by mistake while driving but i would never do it while its sitting still and not in gear

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
would be done while driving... forgot to mention

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What crap built up???? The only crap I can see is that advice. What possible good would bouncing it off the rev limiter have, shouldn't be any crap in a properly maintained engine, and bouncing off the rev limiter in a badly maintained engine is a quick way of killing it.

If your worried about build-up of stuff in the engine, use premium unleaded and some oil or fuel additives like injector cleaner or that stuff you use before doing an oil change, the stuff they dissolves bad oil so it drains out properly. A throttle body and intake plenum clean every so often won't hurt either. Also make sure you change the fuel filter regularly.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I fried my old ecotec(crankshaft bearing bang!) by hitting the limiter twice.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey guys was talking to guy and he said its good once a month or so to just bounce it off the limiter once to get rid of all the crap built up. Just questioning whether i would have to take it all the way up there and im sure it wont hurt doing it but just wanna make sure. And just would like to get conformation of this..
Thanks

Whoever told you this, has obviosly had one too many things bounced off his head, limiting his knowledge too all things mechanical:bang:

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
maybe try hitting speed limiter too i hear that cleans out ya car also
personally i wouldn't be hitting rev limiter at all
i have a couple times while racing (track :p ) and it sounds horrid
keep it off the limiter

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
unless your car is a rotary and gets rebuilt every year bouncing the rev limiter is not what the engine was designed for, all comes down to how it has been treated but it WASNT BUILT FOR BOUNCING, so dont go "clearing **** in your engine" by doing it. I dont know what its supposed to be clearing out, but if you wanted to fully clean your engine try using proper fuel eg. premium, regularly replace oils, keep filters clean, and if it really came down to it, strip it apart and acid clean the block if you want to rebuild. thats it.

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
Limiter = bad... like all have said, proper maintenance is the key here.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Thanks

Thank god that guy is not my mechanic, i wouldnt even leave my lawnmower with him:bang:.

To keep ur car in good running order, service it regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.