Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HJ Belmont Ute, Jap turbo 6 repower.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
An RB25 in a HJ ute, now that is different. Well done mate:thumbsup::thumbsup:

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
PICSPICSPICSPICSPICSPICSPICS!!1!!!!1
More pics I say. How's it going? Love to see the old Holdens around.

MrKingswood79

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF storm
Hey mate I'm planning on putting a RB30 into a HZ ute, just wondering if you could give me a bit of info on the conversion, what you can buy off the shelf to make life easier and what not. That's a very clean conversion, well done.
Cheers

H

harrop.senator

Did you ever get it dynoed? Love to see who's dyno's are pulling 3-380 rwhp on a stock turbo hahhaa.

H

harrop.senator

Hubcap dyno????

We put a tune on one of the 31's with a neo (solid cam 2lb/min higher flowing turbo stock )so agressive back in the day that it was two bottles of octane booster and only on bp in Bunbury that it'd get 98 from. And that was making 300atw.

Most dyno's even with full exhaust and intercooler on the dyno's I've had them on is 270-280.

To get to 380 on my last one was cams and a td06 at 23 psi lol.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Hey mate I'm planning on putting a RB30 into a HZ ute, just wondering if you could give me a bit of info on the conversion, what you can buy off the shelf to make life easier and what not. That's a very clean conversion, well done.
Cheers

Hey, its been a while. When I started this, nothing was available off the shelf so mates and I made everything... Since then, I understand Castlemaine Rod Shop offer a RB30 conversion package that should see you right.

GQ patrol sump makes life easier. It still needs to modified but is a better starting point that the VL sump.

An auto trans will fit in the tunnel better. The RB30 box needs some very minor massaging near the centre floor crossmember to get in. RB25 box needs even more massaging.

Radiator I went with RB30 and made some mounts on the radiator support to suit. Looking back, I perhaps should have considered sticking with the HJ radiator and getting the tanks modified so the outlets are on the same side like RB30.

Used RB30 power steering pump. Just made up adaptor hoses to connect to the HJ power steering box.

Pollution stuff is a pain in arse. Keep your charcoal canister and lines. You'll need to hook all this back up.

ECU wise you'll be fine to stick with RB30. Wiring loom will need attention to marry up with your HX loom. Once you get a good set of drawings for both models its actually not that hard once the headaches stop and the light bulbs start to go off.

Fuel, retained factory tank and went with Holley lift pump into a surge tank then a pair of Bosch 044s. Managed to keep all that stuff down the back near the tank.

There has been a bit of work done since these photos were taken. To be honest I forgot they were here. Ute is still of the road lol. Motor was pulled apart and fully built plus new larger turbo and 1000cc injectors. Rotating assembly balanced with light weight flywheel. Changed up the ECU to a Link Storm. Rear end has gone over to a genuine Eaton Tru-trac with 4.11 gears. Currently working through getting a Mitsi EVO 10 brake setup going as I can go AP callipers and a 355mm rotor whilst still keeping it on 17's.

Last edited: