Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HJ Styleside

Discussion in 'Projects' started by 87RB30VL, May 29, 2016.

1. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
    OKAY so i'm back, after selling the VL and buying a house and getting married and buying a motorbike and selling the motorbike and then going into a deep sleep for 1,000 years, I went on a drug and alcohol fuelled adventure upon waking up, and ended up with this in my yard:

[​IMG]

Now, I know what you're thinking, "Bro aren't you that guy with the VL that had issues and you turbo'd it anyway and did mad tsututu doses BUT it was still a heap of crap?".

Well, YES I am, but I've decided to buy something I've always wanted, and want to actually spend the time on restoring, and doing it right, so here we are today! I haven't got many exciting pics but this is basically where I'm at right now, basically just been slowly stripping her down and cleaning up all the rust with some brush cups & spraying it with some rustoleum until I get around to welding it up. It was mainly just for me to see how far it had spread in certain areas. I can't for the life of me get the boss kit off the steering column though, my old man dropped off an oxy torch to see if heating it loosens it up a bit but it's stuck on there like a fat kid on the toilet:

She's got a 253, 4 speed auto, Holley carb (wouldn't have a clue on specs though, any V8 guys want to help me out when I post more pics?), dodgy as twin exhausts dumped just after the cab, has little interior apart from 2 seats and the dash (no door cards, headliner, carpet's shot, no interior light armrests etc, has sun visors though lol). The plan is to fix all the rust, get the wiring and mechanical side of things running all smooth (with the gear in it now), then decide what I want to do with the interior and paint. So nothing major like an LS swap or anything just yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]

2. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    Found more crappy home job repairs on the floor pans, think I'm just gonna get new ones from rare spares and weld them in. The amount of bog and windscreen goo that was in there in someone's attempt at repairing it was pretty shocking to say the least, AND I spilled my beer. Fun times were had. Have some pics of the bad news:

This is the rear of the passenger side (I only took 2 pics of the passenger side only because it took me ages to scrape and chisel all the shite away) It looks worse in person because in that pic, the flash lit up the garage floor, so it kind of hides the holes:

[​IMG]

Here's the front of the passenger side:

[​IMG]

3. axemurderer101

axemurderer101 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS
  4. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Good to see another H series ute, a few on here now. Is it running a T700 box? As being a 253 means it would be running an adaptor plate or had the block redrilled at some point.

5. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I was just about to ask the same thing lol

It's not too different to mine when I first got it actually, although mine was painted like a zebra. Keen to see more pics. I'd try to replace those doors if possible, they're not very fun to work with having rust like that.

6. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Nice, built a hq toner from ground up few years back. So easy to work on always fun coming across other hack repairs lol. You wonder what some people were thinking!

7. Sandman

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Well if you're not good at welding now, you will be by the time you're finished.
    Quoted for my amusement

kiwicon likes this.
  8. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    Cheers guys, always loved the tough look of the old girls! I'm not 100% on the box as I haven't managed to get under enough for a good look, but my mate seems to think it might have been a 202 manual before someone threw in the 253 and auto based on the plate numbers

Do you think getting some of these would be easy to weld in? I mean, my welding is beginner but my mates all know how to weld really well, so there's no trouble getting a good welder to help me out as long as I do all the cutting beforehand haha. Saying that though, it's not going to be show car worthy, just a nice cruiser so I can kind of take some shortcuts on a few things (meaning if welds don't look completely nice and smooth etc as long as they do the job, bonus points if they're covered up after I put her together)

The amount of bog in the floor pans literally made me throw my **** down, crack and beer and yell "WTF" at it hahaha

Nice man, you still got her? I guess that's why you knew about my wiring issues hey hahaha, I do love the flat black, it really brings out the chrome when it's all nice and shiney

9. Sandman

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    You sure its a 4 speed then? Kind of surprised someone would go to all that effort for an auto behind a 253.

10. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    The rare spares stuff can be okay, but when I purchased a few aftermarket panels (floor pans in particular) I found that they weren't shaped very well and needed lots of work to get them to fit properly. Another issue is the thinner steel. I think it's either .8 or 1mm as opposed to the factory 1.2mm panel steel. Also stay away from the aftermarket tail gates, I'm very unimpressed with mine.

Tbh, I'd leave the doors until last. In the mean time see if another decent set pop up - if not, try those replacement panels :)

A couple of places to look very closely at (attack with a wire wheel lol)
    -the entire cowl panel
    -in front and behind the rear wheels
    -the corners of the rear wall in the tub (next to the drains)
    -the cross brace underneath the rear window (where the tonneau clips are screwed in). Also check underneath this.
    -in the plenum itself around the holes for the dash vents (lay on your back on the floor looking up underneath the dash)
    -the bottoms of both guards

I also noticed that the tonneau holes in the rear have been filled in. Try removing the panel's in the tub and have a look inside to see if they've been bashed in and bogged over, or whether they've been welded up. If they've been bogged over its probably worth taking the sides back to bare metal and welding them up if you don't want the tonneau hooks.

As sandman said, quite a few people on here have or have had H series holdens, so don't hesitate to ask questions!
    If you post a pic of that transmission (and any cables going to the transmission) we'll be able to tell you what you have.

11. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    Yeah my other thought was to just buy/scavenge like a piece of 1.2mm steel and shape my own piece for the corner of the door only and weld that in since it'll be covered by a door card for the most part anyway. I also brush cupped the drivers sill back yesterday and found a few small holes that had been bogged over but were otherwise rust free from the bog so they can just be spot welded up easily enough. I guess one area at a time haha

12. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    More digging and it never ends, this time in the cowl panel which is a friggin bitch to get to... They had stuck down thin plastic like from an icecream container, and bogged over the top of it, seriously wtf :hmmm:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is a mock up I did out of cardboard as a repair template for the door, made from a long strip and flat piece stuck to the strip, I think it'll do the job once it's cut, fabbed up and welded in, just won't look as pretty as an actual cut from a donor door but who's gonna see it anyway:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Cardboard templates are the way to go, makes everything so much easier!

The best way to attack that rust is to remove the full cowl panel by drilling through the spot welds. If you decide to do that, it's worth investing in a spot weld drill bit (they're stepped).

With your priming, be careful about what products you use (not sure how much you know lol). Try and use an etch primer over bare metal to prevent it from rusting. That way you can paint over it with either acrylic or 2 pack primers depending on which paint system you decide to go with. Stay away from enamel if you can as it reacts badly with 2 pack and acrylic paints. Also when using filler, only fill over bare metal or 2 pack epoxy primer, otherwise you could end up with a mess (and bodywork that doesn't last very long).

14. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
  15. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    Tried my hand at welding today, not bad but not good for my first try hahaha:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    Couple more repair pics from the corner of the door. It's not the prettiest but it got the job done & it'll be covered up anyway:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    So I haven't gone down and taken many pics during my progress, but i ended up patching up the floors, and cutting the top of the cowl off (under the windscreen) to get to rust under the cowl, which I fixed by spraying with rust converter, welding in plates and spraying the whole thing with a good layer of fish oil, then welded the cowl piece back on, ground it down and ran a layer of filler over to smooth out any bumps from my dodgy grinding lol. still need to sand it back and spray it but it got too late so i just threw the front back on since it doesn't really need to be off, and i was getting sick of having body pieces everywhere.

I also got new leads and spark plugs, but the coil pack on it at the moment seems to be too small so the end of the coil lead barely sits on the coil. Still, it sounds and runs a lot better, the old plugs were as black as the paint!

Next on the to-do list is fix the indicators so they actually work consistantly, and then put the dash back in. Then carpet, door cards, all the fun stuff lol, wheel studs brakes etc :bomb:

[​IMG]

18. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    Small update, still powering through! Have wing mirrors, wiper motor, interior is all back together etc, got rego today so took her for a quick spin, she's running like an absolute pig, idle is way off, timing is way off, have more electrical issues than i first had, but she goes and goes hard so next steo is off to the shop to get the engine running all nice and smooth and all the vac leaks sorted out, I'm also picking up a donor HX sedan soon to use interior parts for, wiper parts etc and sell the parts i dont or cant use on mine

19. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    SO not much has happened recently, got the donor sedan and began stripping that down for parts, got door cards, bits of interior etc. Car's at my mechanic at the moment, been there for a while now while he tried to suss out the engine gremlins. Went to drive it to him and it just shat itself and left me stuck halfway down the road, had to baby it home, sounded awful hahaha. I'll keep updating once it's running and back at mine!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    Bad new, mechanic reckons my motor's **** itself and it's one step from exploding lol, reckons it's not worth the money to throw at it to repair, and I'd be better of dropping in another 253, or even a 304/308. I'm going to look at a one tonner at the wreckers near work on monday which has a 253, see what coin I can drop for it, or there's a 304 with gearbox at Logan for $400 off gumtree that I might grab, all depends on how much I have after pay day lol

Gaiter likes this.