Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hmmmmm what paint to use????? bmx bike

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Hey fellow jc's
i am in the process of painting and restoring an old bmx bike for something to just cruz around on to mates houses n stuff like that, also for a bit of shits and giggles.

I have just stripped the bikes paint and parts and started getting out all the small marks,

i want to do this job with total quality, i know how to spray paint with cans cause ive done it on old skaty's before.

The question is, what paints should i use, or what paint could i use?
i know i would have to prime, base coat and clear coat it, but was just woundering if anyone has done this before or knows of some good durable, strong and clean paints to use on a bike? or metal surface for that matter

i was thinking ide give it a go on jc because i thought some of you would know of some useful auto paints that could be applied to a bike that would fit the profile of being strong and durable but also looking clean.

much appreciated fellas, james

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
18082008213.jpg

Lay a black base coat and then this over the top... followed by clear. Should give you a nice rainbow flake :D

(Note: this pait is designed for RC car bodies... it may not work but it is up to you)

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
haha ill see how i go, that would look aiight ay,
my bike would be a showstoppa! haha :)

so u pick that up from hobby shops? they would probs have some useful paints

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
probs wouldnt be that durable though, it would with some thick coats of base coat and clear, you woudlnt have any pics of the end result?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
probs wouldnt be that durable though, it would with some thick coats of base coat and clear, you woudlnt have any pics of the end result?
Nah man, no pics sorry... but I did an RC body with this, followed by green/purple colour changing and then black to finish it off (remember, you start backwards cos you paint the inside of a clear RC body) and it looked bloody awesome.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
The hobby paint should work, if its fairly compatible with other types of paint, like you said with a good clear over it, it should be durable,

You can also get similar flakes from panelbeating supply shops in red, green, silver, blue, maybe purple, or a mixture of them all - rainbow, they come like glitter, and you just put them in with the clear coat and spray them on, over what ever colour base you'd like, metal flakes, or something like that...

I'd reccomend if using automotive paints, to spray 2pac, as its harder and probly a more durable/tougher paint.. but you're supposed to spray it in a booth, because it eats the ozone layer!!

Acrylic is alot softer and would probly scratch up quite easily, so id steer clear of them, unless you put a 2pac clear over it, maybe enamel but im not sure how tough a paint it is, I think its resonably hard wearing, and easier to use - mainly alot of the spay cans you get are enamel, so you dont need a compressor and a gun to spray it on, although you can get some shops to mix up any acrylic colour you want in a can, I dont think you can get 2pac in a can, it'l set before you get home!!

I had a mate that got his dushy powder coated, it came out good, but the colours he wanted werent available, they really only have flat basic colours..

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
What about getting it powdercoated?
It is a lot more durable than paint and it shouldn't cost that much if it's just the frame.

DO NOT POWDERCOAT A BIKE..... Sorry I learnt this from experience. It was about 140 bux from memory to have it done.

But yes Powercoating is strong, but once it breaks, it just keeps flaking away.

The first day I got mine back together, I went up for a Smith(i think thats what its called, I dont ride anymore) anyone clipped the back left bottom fork bit on the fun box, destoryed my brand new paint job, not a scratch but flakes cracked off, it just got worse and worse, till I stripped it down a couple of weeks later and done it with $2 spray cans.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i did this recently with an old bike i got from the salvos.
did it all satin black with fluoro green wheels, fluoro green grips and fluoro green handlebar holding bit. i was gonna go over it with glow in the dark clear coat, but it's expensive

i'll chuck up pics tomorrow when i go to the folks