Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden 304 5ltr engine number

Tristan383

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute 5ltr
Hi im new to the forum and I have a 304 5ltr I'm trying to see what car my engine has come from the id on the block starts with N5U

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Is there maybe a faint V in front of the N. All 304's start with a V apart from the designated spare parts blocks which started with SVU. Another thing to look at is the casting date on the top of the block near the timing cover. Should be a little sundial and a few digits.

Tristan383

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute 5ltr
No problem, there isn't a V unless it wasn't stamped, I will look at the digits on front of engine thanks

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Hi im new to the forum and I have a 304 5ltr I'm trying to see what car my engine has come from the id on the block starts with N5U

all service/replacement blocks from GMH start with 'N'

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I have "N5U" listed as a GMP&A replacement block for a 308 blue motor, not a 304.

I thought the "N5" prefix spare parts blocks were replaced by "S" prefixes for VN through to VT?

~ apart from the designated spare parts blocks which started with SVU. ~
"SVU" & "CVU" prefixes came from VQ-onward V8 Statesmen and Caprices respectively.

I believe you may be talking about the "SU" prefix which was a GMP&A replacement 304 block around the VR / VS era?

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
I have "N5U" listed as a GMP&A replacement block for a 308 blue motor, not a 304.

I thought the "N5" prefix spare parts blocks were replaced by "S" prefixes for VN through to VT?

"SVU" & "CVU" prefixes came from VQ-onward V8 Statesmen and Caprices respectively.

I believe you may be talking about the "SU" prefix which was a GMP&A replacement 304 block around the VR / VS era?
Adding to your info
Yep N5??? number blocks were 308 short motor replacements up to WB including VB - VH
However other N5 ?? numbers were used in the VK/VL as 304 short motor replacement blocks in the changeover from 308.

SV was for VN – VR 304 replacement blocks. SU was for VR – VS 304 blocks were a roller block with no 304 cast on side of block. Statesmen were SVU numbers except for HSV models. All other VN – VS standard 304’s were VU

The OP might have a 308 block ?????, the casting date sundial pointer for 308 block was in the 9oclock position and the 304 is in the 1oclock position.