Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Acadia - Kills ZB.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Honestly rebadged daewoo's was the start of the end, how many of them do you see on the road bugger all I see more VS commodores
Nah. Go back further, to the Nissan Pulsar/Holden Astra in the early 80's. Isuzu's, the brief amalgamation with Toyota, the RB30, Suzuki's. All before the first Daewoo and some of them absolutely bloody awful. And all wore Holden badges.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Nah. Go back further, to the Nissan Pulsar/Holden Astra in the early 80's. Isuzu's, the brief amalgamation with Toyota, the RB30, Suzuki's. All before the first Daewoo and some of them absolutely bloody awful. And all wore Holden badges.
I don't know still see a lot of swift/barinas going around, the Daewoo badgeing did it.

The Isuzu inspired Colorado is the only thing keeping them going and god knows why drive that against a rager and you'll by a ranger we I did so much better

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon

And the Holden Apollo.

That was all due to the Button Plan... He foresaw the difficulties in local manufacturing (due to the size of our market) even back then.

Toyota weren't too happy about having to sell the Lexcen either...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
And the Holden Apollo.

That was all due to the Button Plan... He foresaw the difficulties in local manufacturing (due to the size of our market) even back then.

Toyota weren't too happy about having to sell the Lexcen either...

The Apolli was part of the Toyota tie-up I referred to. It was probably one of the better badge engineered Holdens.

The simple fact is that Holden's name was being eroded for over thirty years before the shutdown by being attached to such third rate rubbish as the Drover and Scurry (Suzuki's), Pulsar, (Nissan), Frontera, (Opel), Piazza (Isuzu). None of these cars are remembered fondly. It seems that Holden would hop into bed with just about anybody before they settled on the Opel/Vauxhall connection in the mid 90's. Daewoo came after that.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I don't know still see a lot of swift/barinas going around, the Daewoo badgeing did it.

The Isuzu inspired Colorado is the only thing keeping them going and god knows why drive that against a rager and you'll by a ranger we I did so much better
The early Barina/Swift wasn't a bad little jigger. The XC was better. The TK should never have seen the light of day.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
the RB30 ?

Hey don't drop a fantastic engine into the **** bucket, remember that was the engine that got Holden it's No.1 sales position back in the VL.

The RB30 was destined to go into the VN but the 1987 Crash of Wall Street put pay to that as every late 87 and 88 6 cylinder VL built cost Holden money. It certainly would've been better than that rough old Buik V6 that was such a harsh engine compared to that glorious Nissan power plant and then that Turbo was something else.

You gotta ask yourself why are VL's bringing such high prices now ? very simple, they were brilliant.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I agree but I was trying to demonstrate how wide Holden was casting its net during the 80's to plug gaps in its line-up. Brand didn't seem to matter.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
The Apolli was part of the Toyota tie-up I referred to. It was probably one of the better badge engineered Holdens.

The simple fact is that Holden's name was being eroded for over thirty years before the shutdown by being attached to such third rate rubbish as the Drover and Scurry (Suzuki's), Pulsar, (Nissan), Frontera, (Opel), Piazza (Isuzu). None of these cars are remembered fondly. It seems that Holden would hop into bed with just about anybody before they settled on the Opel/Vauxhall connection in the mid 90's. Daewoo came after that.

The Calibra was pretty good though :)

Last edited: