Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Airbags Are Safe.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
It is in the ABC news, a list of vehicles fitted with unsafe airbags and NO Holden. Have had airbags replaced in my Mazda CX9, still waiting for the Honda Dealer to get back to me. It is interesting to see many different made of vehicles have the faulty airbags, so if you have other vehicles, better look it up.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
With respect to this latest mandatory recall there is no updated vehicle list yet available apparently. I have seen reports that Federal authorities have gone to the manufacturers and asked them to supply vehicle details on the additionally affected vehicles and the reports indicated that this will not be available until about April. Manufacturers are also required to provide a search tool on their web site, with details of all affected vehicles covered by the mandatory recall , by 1 July 2018, so owners can check if their own vehicle is affected by the latest recall.

"The compulsory recall applies to:

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
We had our Nissan done about 8 months ago just before we sold it for the Commodore. I was a bit lazy getting it done (i.e. it took me years to get around to it) but then I was feeling guilty if the person who bought it then had an accident with the faulty airbags.

Anyway, maybe it's Holden Korean cars that will be caught up in the new improved recall?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Just watched the ABC 7 o'clock news, apparently there are further release of vehicles including Holden with faulty airbags, just have to wait and see, but I suspect those were Holden made in Korea...

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I read somewhere where it mentioned European sourced Holdens so it’s more likely to be the Insignia or Astra.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Takata airbags made in germany facility are now being recalled. No point speculating, we'll find out soon which Holden models are affected.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Seems the issue is the use of ammonium nitrate that doesn’t also include a moisture-reducing chemical and poor design. Those inflators need long-term exposure to high-humidity climates with big differences in daytime and night temperatures for the problem to manifest itself, in possible deadly ways.

IIRC there are other propelants which don't have such a problem that can be, or are being used in airbags. Likely they cost more to produce. Likley they cost far far less than the recall issues hounding manufacturers. It's just another case of faulse accounting i guess.

So far, the biggest culprit has been Takata airbags but focusing on one manufacturer alone is missguided. Sadly, no-one clearly states what propelant their airbags use so it's all an unknown. And it's likley a bigger problem than anyone wants to admit. It will bankrupt companies (i think Takata was considering barkrupcy as a solution to their problem early on).

NHTSA has yet to decide if the ammonium nitrate propellant itself is too unstable for on-board operating conditions. This could have huge implications should they decide the stuff is just no good.

This is a bigger cluster fcuk than anyone wants to admit and i don't trust governments to look after our health and financial interests. Rather, the health of the industry health willl be a prime focus with consumers coming second.

So does anyone know if airbags used in our commodores contain ammonium nitrate without enough desicant?

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Latest News 330,000 Holden have faulty airbags, but Commodore not included yet.