Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Airbags Are Safe.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes 300k Holdens inpacted but it's still non news as there is no technical info that we as consumers can draw upon.

It may be that Holden could still be playing a little loose with facts to aid there bottom line, who knows. It wouldn't be the first time motor manufacturer execs have lied, and it wont be the last. Just hope that where safety is concerned, lying does result in jail time as a few VW execs recently learnt in the USA. Sadly, a few years earlier, GM execs got away too easy with the ignition lock feasco that resulted in deaths within the USA. Some GM execs should have been incarcerated to send a celar message that you can't place profits above lives. Down undr, it seems more an issue of party donations than legal standards o_O

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yes 300k Holdens inpacted but it's still non news as there is no technical info that we as consumers can draw upon.

It may be that Holden could still be playing a little loose with facts to aid there bottom line, who knows. It wouldn't be the first time motor manufacturer execs have lied, and it wont be the last. Just hope that where safety is concerned, lying does result in jail time as a few VW execs recently learnt in the USA. Sadly, a few years earlier, GM execs got away too easy with the ignition lock feasco that resulted in deaths within the USA. Some GM execs should have been incarcerated to send a celar message that you can't place profits above lives. Down undr, it seems more an issue of party donations than legal standards o_O
Well I guess now’s a good time to point out that the G8, with exactly the same barrel lock as the Commodore, was subject to recall by GM US.
I don’t remember being notified about the heavy keychain mod by GM Holden but yeah i have noticed with certain keychains your knee can knock the ignition off while driving.
I think that was one of the motivations for keyless on the other side with VF.
There are plenty of articles here questioning the US recall at the time...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn't know that Aussie vehilces were impacted by the igition barrel issue, but if so, shame on GHM and their execs.

I do know GM redesigned the key barrel to solve the issue but oddly gave it the same part number. Having a part modded and using the same part number as the superceded one is unheard off within the automotive world. Really, on this issue alone, someone knew something and was trying to cover it up. Since nothing important happens without exec knowing, one or more execs should have been put in in jail over this issue where people died.

As for keys hanging off chains, after being in an accident many years ago and having my knee hit the keys and underdash area, i'm still limping on occassions. I tell everyone i know not to use ignition keys attached to a collection of other keys hanging off them. In a heavy prang, it can really hurt and can really damage the right knee.

Keyless start is one way to go but Sab had the key near the gear leavel which i thought was chaep and elegant.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
This list doesn't show the Holden Commodore only other small vehicles 4 cylinders.

Holden Astra (MY2005 — 2009)

Opal Astra (MY2012 — 2013)

Holden Astra (MY2014 — 2017)

Holden Trax (MY2013 — 2018)

Holden Barina (MY2012 — 2018)

Holden Cruze (MY2010 — 2016)

Holden Cascada (MY2015 — 2017)

Opal Cascada (MY2014)

Opal Mokka (MY2014)

Opal Zafira (MY2013)

SAAB 9-3 (MY2006 — 2011)

SAAB 9-5 (MY2006 — 2011)

v3

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Holden also argued it may not have the capacity to replace the airbags because its suppliers

would struggle to meet demand for new vehicles being produced — as well as the replacement airbags — and said the process would come with a “significant cost”.

Well it's great to see Holden execs placing cost over it's customer lives. It gives me an air of confidence. NOT.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
So whats the go? We have an MY11 Cruze but didn't buy the car new. Do we have to contact Holden to get some direction on this?

Juicifruitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 ssv redline
So whats the go? We have an MY11 Cruze but didn't buy the car new. Do we have to contact Holden to get some direction on this?

I’d contact them, but in the article in the Herald Sun, they said while they know what’s has been affected by this, they haven’t as yet sorted how their plan for how to implement given the volume of cars involved.