Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden already in the crap... and local production hasn't even ended yet.

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
The Cruze was average at best and the Captiva had a really bad reputation for being unreliable, everyone I know that was dumb enough to buy a Captiva sold it within a year as they got sick of it having problems.

Having leased one of each I can sort of agree, having read many horror stories myself, but also disagree slightly after my own experiences. My Captiva was a 2007 diesel LX. In the 5 years I had it I only had 2 issues, both caused headaches though. It spat a lifter with 80,000k on the clock, which in turn wore the cam lobe, causing a ticking sound and a slight drop in performance. Holden covered it, so I wasn't out of pocket, even though it was out of warranty by 9 months. The other one was a sensor that would only fail on very cold mornings, tripping the check engine light, but the code would clear almost instantly. That one just took time to isolate, otherwise it was a great 5 yeas with it. I never felt dumb for buying it.
I'm now into my 5th year with the Cruze, which a 2013 locally built SRi-V. It's had the thermostat replaced twice (86k on the clock at the moment), otherwise it hasn't given me any trouble, and it's been quite enjoyable to own. I won't be keeping it though as I'm buying my old VZ wagon back off my father. 10 years in the family and no major issues, just your normal wear and tear. Hopefully it lasts another 5-10 so I can cut my mortgage down in that time.

That being said I fully agree with other comments on the rebadged Daewoos, and early imported Cruzes, and the damage they have done to Holden's image. Once the VZ has had it's day I'll be looking for a used VF2 Calais V, or another brand if I go new. At this point in time it doesn't look like Holden is going to have anything I'll be remotely interested in looking at, which is disheartening after being a follower for the past 20 odd years.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
ah well, we will always have the memories and the few gems that GM have built over the years. But man, you think GM is bad here - look at all the garbage they've released over the years in the US, some truly horrendous vehicles.

And as most might have figured out GM have always been a volume manufacturer, they are only happy when the are churning through the models.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
There is a facebook group called 'Malaise Garage' - looks at vehicles from 1973-1996. Any car from this period can be regarded as Malaise. Some of the vehicles all US manufacturers built....wow. The J-Car was sold in USA as a Cadillac in the early 80s. Cadillac Camira anyone?

But in saying that - other volume manufacturers have a corporate vision that isn't going from one cluster-**** to another. Mazda, Hyundai and Toyota spring to mind. Sure they aren't musclecars but various models are enjoyable to drive, well-made and are very big sellers as a result.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I beg to differ, it's all image problem. Who has ever thought positive towards holden with in the small car product, everything they have brought in was either average or poor which created the poor image. They needed to bring in vehicles that were above average quality and different to everything else out there at the time to make the public actually look at it. The cruze was ugly, poor equipped, poor quality etc and this was the vehicle that was supposed to breath new life into Holden. Unfortunately it damaged their reputation even further. The Astra has never really been looked at positive overseas yet Holden imported them. Not sure how much was actually Holdens own fault or GM dictating what us Aussies want, if it's one thing GM never could workout is that Aussie don't like being told what they want!

Truth be known I think it's mostly product and partly image.

In all of Holden's line up, aside from the Commodore there is not one segment winner. The only one that comes close is the Colorado but that isn't translating to sales thus the part image problem.

Pretty much the rest of Holden's portfolio are also rans either old and well past their used by dates or overpriced when compared to the competition in the relevant sector.

As for apportioning blame, I think much of it should be aimed at Detroit with their 'we know best' approach that has buttfucked Holden at every turn. The Australian government (of both flavors over the last 25 years) must shoulder part responsibility for the closure.

It's not fashion that has caused the rise of the now dominant dual cab ute sector. By design, the governments FBT laws have pushed this segment no end. By making this segment effectively tax free whilst the locally produced sedans and wagons copping a massive whack, it has put the last few nails in the coffin.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I beg to differ, it's all image problem. Who has ever thought positive towards holden with in the small car product, everything they have brought in was either average or poor which created the poor image. They needed to bring in vehicles that were above average quality and different to everything else out there at the time to make the public actually look at it. The cruze was ugly, poor equipped, poor quality etc and this was the vehicle that was supposed to breath new life into Holden. Unfortunately it damaged their reputation even further. The Astra has never really been looked at positive overseas yet Holden imported them. Not sure how much was actually Holdens own fault or GM dictating what us Aussies want, if it's one thing GM never could workout is that Aussie don't like being told what they want!

Truth be known I think it's mostly product and partly image.

In all of Holden's line up, aside from the Commodore there is not one segment winner. The only one that comes close is the Colorado but that isn't translating to sales thus the part image problem.

Pretty much the rest of Holden's portfolio are also rans either old and well past their used by dates or overpriced when compared to the competition in the relevant sector.

As for apportioning blame, I think much of it should be aimed at Detroit with their 'we know best' approach that has buttfucked Holden at every turn. The Australian government (of both flavors over the last 25 years) must shoulder part responsibility for the closure.

It's not fashion that has caused the rise of the now dominant dual cab ute sector. By design, the governments FBT laws have pushed this segment no end. By making this segment effectively tax free whilst the locally produced sedans and wagons copping a massive whack, it has put the last few nails in the coffin.