Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden and HSV Gen IV Engine Number Prefixes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Litre, VZ SV6
Looking at an ls1 converted Toyota, he reckons its a callaway ls1, number is 7V8012880734. Any ideas if it could be or not?

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Sorry knackers, the Callaway engines are so rare that I haven't found an example of a number from one yet.

Obviously the "7V8" part is the identifier, aside from that it should have been stamped on Monday the 15th of October 2001 (I'd guess the 734th engine of the day would've been in the afternoon)?

Whether that date somehow ties-in with Callaway's records I don't know?

Also I'm not sure exactly what happened with Callaway engines, whether they were shipped complete or partial assemblies or just bare blocks?

Andrew

outbackjack

Reaction score
Hi All, again digging up old post. Just brought a 2009MY Caprice. It has an engine from 2015MY installed. However owner doesnt know what it is. Was 2nd hand engine installed by Holden Dealer. I dont understand engine code, maybe for rego they issued new one??

10SBP2082, so got no idea. Guessing it is a L77 or maybe that's original engine number, never swapped new onto rego papers?

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
The first thing I'd suggest is that you verify the above is actually correct by inspecting the number stamped onto your engine yourself. (See the top of page 1 of this thread for the location.)

While you're there, take note of whether it's been re-stamped with old-fashioned number stamps or whether it's the original "dot matrix" stamping?

If I had to guess, I'd say your original MY09 L76 number should've started with SBP09xxxzzzz (where "xxx" would be the day of manufacture and "zzzz" would be the serial number), so maybe someone has tried to re-stamp the replacement block with a number similar to your original?

Andrew

outbackjack

Reaction score
Reply, ok cheers. I am 4000kms away at the moment and will be down there in few weeks. Will check it out

outbackjack

Reaction score
Still waiting to see what engine it has. Maybe something dodgie happened when engine was replaced. It was suppose to be 2015 Engine from Caprice. Original engine was non AFM, so not sure how hard to put AFM engine into non AFM vehicle

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Great list - what a wealth of information. Thanks for creating it. Just bought a VE and never had anything like this car before, so these types of informative posts are really helpful in the initial check/decode mindset that many new buyers go through.