Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WA] Holden Astra 2000 gear shift problem

nathanfleming

Reaction score
Members Ride
nil
Hi There,

I have a problem with my girl's Holden Astra 2000. The auto gear shift seems to get locked in place and you have to pump the brake for a while to get it to move. I don't have a clue about Astras so here I am. Any thoughts?
cheers

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi Nathan

If I remember correctly, the auto gear selector has an electronic interlock with the brake pedal, which requires the brake to be depressed before the auto can be shifted from the Park position. If you now have to hit the brake pedal a number of times before the selector can be moved, I'd be looking at the interlock switch, which must be hooked into the brake pedal mechanism somewhere. I don't have a clue how it's connected - perhaps it uses the brake light switch as the interlock release switch as well. Have a look at the brake pedal and arm to see if there is a switch that is contacted by the arm as it is depressed and see how many wires lead from it. I imagine it would only need two wires for the brake lights but there might be more than two, in which case it could be the problem. Check to see if your brake lights are working correctly too.