Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden closing down Factory 2016 - 2018

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Holden would be a great pick up for one of the Chinese car companies that can't yet make a decent car.
The expertise, design and development knowledge would lift then game of say Cherry or Great Wall.
Bit like when Tata (India) bought Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford.

I think I my have heard that ex GM company Saab was going to start making cars again , there may hope for Holden yet .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, the Chinese bought SAAB. First cars are rolling of the production line I heard in a news story this week.

The thing is though, GM are closing down production, they aren't actually selling the brand so as such, nobody else can actually manufacture/produce a "Holden".

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Immortality. I used to work for Burson for 4 years and am currently working for Repco as a Catalogue Developer so I know full well what prices stuff fall under.

It really depends what you buy, how big the gap between retail and trade is. At the end of the day, Repco and Burson are primarily aimed at the Trade, with a minor Retail presence. The things we sell to retail are quite often very different to what we sell to trade. Think car wash stuff vs brake pads. Of course the trade stuff is going to be cheaper to the trade, because they are primary spenders and the retail guys dont buy that stuff as often. Things like oil filters and oil there is the smallest difference in pricing.

In the end, its up to the consumer to shop around. The difference between retail and trade allows individual workshops to set a price and compete with other workshops. Sure, you do your own work, thats great. You would probably be able to get trade VERY EASILY from any of these places. Hell, we used to give trade to anyone who had oil on their hands or was wearing overalls.

In regards to the supply chain being affected. I dont know how big the impact will be. When Ford wound back their stuff what 2 years ago? We noticed a very small impact on suppliers. Many places that supply to Ford and Holden, will start supplying to resellers.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
In regards to the supply chain being affected. I dont know how big the impact will be. When Ford wound back their stuff what 2 years ago? We noticed a very small impact on suppliers. Many places that supply to Ford and Holden, will start supplying to resellers.

Yeah, but now it will only be spare parts, no parts for new vehicles. A lot of the parts in the cars come from sub suppliers. That is a lot of business that isn't been looked at right now. Then you have to look at the communities around the major production plants. A lot of those folks without work will possibly move to find new work. Local retailers are going to take a decent hit when a good %age of the local population are suddenly out of work. These closures will effect a lot more people than just those workers who actually loose their jobs at Holden/Ford.

tommygun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 M6
What about all the jobs? Other countries give more cash to car companies, more than the Aussie government give ours (from a per capita point, not only whole amount). They get jobs and stimulus to the economy in return... I reckon the government have chooked it with this one. Another industry closing in Australia, lots of jobs lost. Very sad.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Yeah, the Chinese bought SAAB. First cars are rolling of the production line I heard in a news story this week.

The thing is though, GM are closing down production, they aren't actually selling the brand so as such, nobody else can actually manufacture/produce a "Holden".

The SAAB thing reminds me of Great Wall - 90's rodeo's ftw!

China, the great photocopier of the world!