Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden closing down Factory 2016 - 2018

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
I wonder if they will keep trading using the name Holden or if they will just start using Chev (Chevrolet). No real reason to keep the Holden name anymore since everything will be made in South Korea (or other OS country). Holden to me was an Australian manufacturer, soon they will just be a re-seller. I think they should also let the name go, not like people are attracted to it anymore with the cultural cringe happening in Australia. Pity, I was always a Holden man, would hate to see the name go down any further.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
when holden closes down does this mean that spare parts for earlier models will stop being manufactured too so that spare parts will run out? sorry if that's a really silly question.

I wouldnt expect it to, unless the companies that are making the parts fold because they were also supplying parts to the manufacturers for current lines.

Supply and demand though, if there is a want for it on a sustainable level, it's going to be made.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
A mechanical workshop is a business.. A business that has to pay:
Wages for mechanics and all other staff
Work cover
Insurance
Rent
Electricity
Phone
Loan repayments
Association memberships (vacc or similar)
Stationary
Office equipment
And no doubt other overheads that I have missed

Their income comes from profit on parts and the labour charged for work being carried out... Remember to take into account that most mechanical business will have at least one - usually more - "non productive" employees whose wage also needs to be paid yet whose labour is not charged directly for I.e. receptionists, service advisors, service managers, wash staff, accounts staff etc (obviously the number and type of non productive staff will vary depending on the size and type of workshop).

It's funny how people whose only exposure to/or knowledge of an industry is the fact that they own a car like to think that because they pay $60/$70 or $90 an hour labour for their car service that that's what the mechanic must get paid...

** not directed at you specifically Shearer - just voicing an argument I've pitched many times in the past!

The main problem is the general public are largely ignorant to the 'behind-the-scene' costs.

Working in the parts industry its amazing that retail people think because a mechanic pays X for a part and they pay Y for a part they are getting ripped.

They dont seem to fathom that 10 dollar difference or whatever it may be is part of their margin to survive

I have seen the prices... admittedly I was shocked.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
when holden closes down does this mean that spare parts for earlier models will stop being manufactured too so that spare parts will run out? sorry if that's a really silly question.

Theyve said that parts and warranty will remain intact and parts for earlier models wont be an issue. They arent handled by Holden for the most part and there will ALWAYS be a demand for Commodore parts.

I have seen the prices... admittedly I was shocked.

There are some parts where even I as a reseller was like "Nah thats a bit rich for retail, ill give it to you for this" and would maybe give them a slight discount. But for the most part there isnt a HUGE difference between Trade and Retail. Brake pads theres a HUGE price difference but thats probably the only range that really has that major discrepancy and thats simply because there is absolutely zero profit in them. Most mechanics dont charge retail for parts anyway and it gives them room to move on trying to beat another workshop.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yeah because a petition is going to get them to change their minds.

As much as I like Holden as a brand and feel sorry for the workers losing their jobs.

Manufacturing in this country is unsustainable because of the exceptionally high wages given to unskilled workers. They push a button and make higher than average wage.

People in all forms of Manufacturing are suffering right now. Its just cheaper to get stuff made elsewhere. Plain and simple. Unless Govt is willing to pour hundreds of millions into the wallets of an AMERICAN company to subsidies the loss of profits they could potentially make by outsourcing labor, then they arent going to stay. At the end of the day I agree with the Liberals in finally pulling the plug. Why continue to prop up something that clearly isnt going to work? They arent going to change their business model to make it work in Australia, so stop giving them money to prolong the inevitable.

Give that money to the workers in the form of subsidized learning and reskilling programs.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I wonder if they will keep trading using the name Holden or if they will just start using Chev (Chevrolet). No real reason to keep the Holden name anymore since everything will be made in South Korea (or other OS country). Holden to me was an Australian manufacturer, soon they will just be a re-seller. I think they should also let the name go, not like people are attracted to it anymore with the cultural cringe happening in Australia. Pity, I was always a Holden man, would hate to see the name go down any further.

It would be cheaper for the cars themselves to stay badged as chevrolet, vauxhall, opel, what have you. Perhaps they could turn all the holden dealers into general GM dealers where you can buy any GM vehicle that is available in RHD configuration, whatever brand it is. Only thing is converting the signage at a few hundred dealers would cost a bit.......when looking to buy a new car recently I considered a barina for a few seconds but in reality its only a holden in name only. Behind the badge its all ex-Daewoo. Got a Fiesta instead......global model, available on all continents.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
^^^ The Holden brand will stay. It is one of the top handful of trademarks for public recognition in Australia. Chevrolet is well known but no where near to the same extent. As for Vauxhall & opel - pffft.

Btw - you do realize the Barina is also sold world wide under a variety of badges. How it compares to a Fiesta I presume you would know better than I.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There are so many factor affecting Holden's demise that one or two simple answers won't fix the problem.

The dollar is too strong and remains so beyond expectations that the fall of the mineral sector would see the dollar fall in value. It hasn't fallen yet to anything like what was anticipated.
Wage costs are too high, particularly compared to South East Asian and Korean wage rates. There is no way Australian industry can ever match the miserable wages paid in those countries, even though some here would like them to do so.
There are too many different makes and models for any local manufacturer to be able to sell sufficient numbers of vehicles to amortise their costs.
Tariffs are amongst the lowest in the world.
And finally, Holden is not building the sorts of cars that Australians want.

Typically, the **** fight has started in parliament, with the Opposition blaming the Government for allowing Holden to fold. That's laughable, when you consider that some of the factors I listed above are directly due to Labor policies. (lowered tariffs, support for union wage and conditions demands). The "level playing field" that is so beloved of politicians of both persuasions (but more particularly the Coalition) is a bad joke. We have made fools our ourselves believing that other countries would "play fair" and lower their tariffs or permit greater market diversification like we did.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
^^^ The Holden brand will stay. It is one of the top handful of trademarks for public recognition in Australia. Chevrolet is well known but no where near to the same extent. As for Vauxhall & opel - pffft.

Btw - you do realize the Barina is also sold world wide under a variety of badges. How it compares to a Fiesta I presume you would know better than I.

Reaper

If I can't buy an Australian built and designed Holden, I would rather the name was attached to an Opel or Vauxhall than a Daewoo. My Captiva is a typical Daewoo product, though improved with Holden input. It's dull and unimpressive, though it does the job I bought it for. It just doesn't have the "Holden" feel about it that my previous cars had. The Cruze has been dramatically improved with Holden input, but the original was a dog. The Barina is half baked and compares poorly with other vehicles in its market sector. The Barina Spark is a joke. Who buys them and how can you treat them seriously? The Malibu is seldom seen and gets lost in the crowd. All Daewoo designs. All boring as batshit. How much local input will there be in future models if the local manufacturing capacity is removed?

The Holden name was seriously cheapened back in the 1980's when it was stuck on Suzuki Sierra's and called the Drover. There was also the Scurry, a Suzuki Carry van that nobody ever sees. Utter rubbish with Holden badges stuck on.

Unless there is a huge improvement in Daewoo design and engineering standards, it's going to suffer the same fate again.