Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden commodore 2008 boiling noise

Lorna 1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore
Pulled into my garage after using the car to hear a boiling noise coming from the yellow cap where you check the water level behind headlight made this noise before and mechanic said it was a leak near the water cap on top of engine but still did the same boiling noise. Car is not over heating and has water in both top of engine and in yellow cap. I read that the top engine bay cap should be replaced..? Help please

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Correct, the radiator pressure cap needs replacing. Boiling coolant if it's not overheating is indicating the system isn't maintaining pressure.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Agree, and buy the new pressure cap from a Holden spares dealer if you can find one. Genuine caps are the only ones that work for me and I've tried all of them.
Makes me think I should buy a couple now for future use given that Holden dealers are disappearing faster than Trump supporters.

Lorna 1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore
Thank you. I wi try find a holden one. So i should just drive the car after replacing and check. Also car has only done this couple times it wasnt each time i used after i got it checked.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes that's what I would do. New cap should stop the gurgling noise and hold more pressure in the radiator. That will help the cooling system work better for the summer as well.

Reactions: Lex