Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Wasn't the LCT set at a (variable) price threshold?
LCT began 1st July 2000 and replaced the Wholsale Sales Tax as it coincided with the advent of GST. The proposed legislation initially set the tax at 25% on amounts of the GST inclusive price above the threshold of $55,134 where a tax of 25% was to be charged on the GST inclusive price above the LCT threshold (which itself was indexed yearly via some mechanism)…

At some point, the LCT was raised to 33% (at the start?) and later the threshold was split with normal vehicles at one threshold and fuel efficient vehicles at a higher threshold (in 2011/12).

Today LCT is 33% with a threshold of $76,950 for normal vehicles and $89,320 for fuel efficient vehicles.

In 2016/17 when the limited edition models were first sold, the LCT was set at $64,132 of our V8’s and $75,526 for fuel efficient vehicles which our V8’s just won’t squeeze into.

So with the Motorsport edition RRP at $63,990 for the auto, at the start of 2017, it was definitely those greedy dealer pricks with their $4,000 car wash that pushed many a sale into LCT territory.

PS: and the excuse of LCT being the reason for having less “best of the last“ features excluded is just a furphy as history does show people would have paid a bit more (for 2 horns, electrochroamatic mirrors, seat coolers, 6 spot calipers, etc, etc, though I’d have loved a stripped down behemoth wagon)…

Last edited:

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Id kinda argue that as what was supposed to be the "Ultimate" final edition commodore, they should have had the entire LSA powertrain fitted.

I get the whole idea of HSV, but sometimes I feel it limited the Holden models (For example, L77 in Series 1 SS whilst Chevy SS got LS3's, and Redlines should have all been fitted with MagRide from the start or at least Series 2's)
back in VS VT Days you could option the 185i and 195i HSV engines in your SS, the same should of been for the final special editions, option to add GTS engine etc etc

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
back in VS VT Days you could option the 185i and 195i HSV engines in your SS, the same should of been for the final special editions, option to add GTS engine etc etc
In the early commodore days (VH being last i looked at) the option list was such that you could order a base model and option it up to a higher spec that the top range model (though not cost effective but it could be done)...

Such possibilities have been lost with many average (non exotic , non german) car makers as they opt for fixed variants with little ability to customise (spank your wallet) with an extensive tick box option list...

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
even if they did the hsv 340 headers and tune.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I've told this story before, I ordered a new VS HSV Clubsport debadged and without the body kit and rims, they were all supplied in their boxes.

The car looked like an SS with steel rims, it had the 185i engine and intake and headers and the HSV logo on the instrument gauges, the Clubsport build number badge on the passenger side dash and the HSV tag and build number on the firewall in the engine bay.

Back then you could almost order what you wanted.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
A bit of information about replacement front rotors.

Attachments

• Brembo_09.A804.33_en.pdf
    218.6 KB · Views: 135

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
LCT was never about necessity or luxury.

Some very wealthy bloke could go out and spend $500k on a watch or spend tens of millions on a super yacht and no LCT is paid. And neither are a necessity.

Considering what car one could buy when the LCT and its comparatively high threshold was first introduced, vehicle price inflation has done its job to capture the masses. Average vehicle prices have crept much closer to LCT threshold and has thus inflation has broadened the vehicles captured under LCT in essence reducing the effective level where LCT begins.

So today, a nice POS that‘s not considered a luxury by most can costs you $70k and up but falls within the LCT which means adding any accessory costs you an extra 30% hit :rolleyes:

Such simply highlights to me that the LCT was a protection measure for Australian vehicle manufacturers and it was intended to capture more of the sales over time. Post vehicle manufacturer exodus it’s past well past its used by date and should thus be repealed :cool:
LCT was & is a tax-grab, nothing more & nothing less.

The Oz manufacturers may have worked with it to their advantage, but it was solely about leveraging tall-poppy syndrome to generate a bit of extra tax revenue.