Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Had to get through the last break in kms in my car before the upgrade, ended up in Philip Island for sunset, not bad. More MSE photos or reviews people!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Nice, awesome day for a drive. Did u go past the Gran Prix track, I think Subinats were on.

macman

Reaction score
Members Ride
MotorSport
New plates showed up for my Magnum yesterday.

Hey Imoenger that'll be two of us around Sunbury with holden plates mate...look out for an MSE with the following plates. I have now put up 1,300kms and not seen even 1 other MSE yet on the road to give a thumbs up to.
Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 9.45.30 pm.png

Last edited:

KLUBR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
IMG_9603.JPG
IMG_9615.JPG
IMG_9603.JPG
IMG_9611.JPG
Stunning, Martin. I was struck with the quality of the whole package. The decals are very smart, very professional, and applied micrometre-perfect. Even though this example has the standard lip spoiler, from the rear Nitrate looks great with the red, blacks, and greys. The dealer informed me that because my build date is October, it may be possible to swap colour allocation with a Spitfire car as there are still several unsold Spitfires allocated out there in dealer land. However, having seen this Nitrate example, albeit sans T43 spoiler, I am convinced Nitrate strikes a perfect balance between toughness, classiness, and good ole muscle car atmosphere; no reason to change.
I must say, I agree with your ideas re red/silver, it really works. Surprisingly (to me) the red DRL surrounds look great, as do those mirror scalps, and I didn't even see it in the sunlight...GLA's images demonstrate that the red things all fluoresce in Hemi orange under the sunlight. I suspect I won't be altering anything. The rear wheels are big, the tires wide, from a vantage point down low to the rear and side, the MSE looks very tough. Short of someone offering me Phase 3 HO money for it down the track, I don't reckon I'd ever sell it. You and I (and 70 odd others) made a good choice.

Have to agree, I have ordered silver Nitrate MSE, I saw the colour in the flesh for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it ,
Sophisticated yet powerful is how I would describe it, still haven't seen a MSE on the road, these things are rare!, I wonder how many of the 1200 have been produced to date?

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Stunning, Martin. I was struck with the quality of the whole package. The decals are very smart, very professional, and applied micrometre-perfect. Even though this example has the standard lip spoiler, from the rear Nitrate looks great with the red, blacks, and greys. The dealer informed me that because my build date is October, it may be possible to swap colour allocation with a Spitfire car as there are still several unsold Spitfires allocated out there in dealer land. However, having seen this Nitrate example, albeit sans T43 spoiler, I am convinced Nitrate strikes a perfect balance between toughness, classiness, and good ole muscle car atmosphere; no reason to change.
I must say, I agree with your ideas re red/silver, it really works. Surprisingly (to me) the red DRL surrounds look great, as do those mirror scalps, and I didn't even see it in the sunlight...GLA's images demonstrate that the red things all fluoresce in Hemi orange under the sunlight. I suspect I won't be altering anything. The rear wheels are big, the tires wide, from a vantage point down low to the rear and side, the MSE looks very tough. Short of someone offering me Phase 3 HO money for it down the track, I don't reckon I'd ever sell it. You and I (and 70 odd others) made a good choice.
Hi Professor, nicely put, I think its wise its stick with your original colour choice and although all the colours possess certain attributes that are desirable, its how we prioritise those attributes that are the basis for our final choice as individuals, generally speaking. Like your good self, I doubt I will ever sell my car either. Personally, I think the Zeta based Holdens are special, even more so in V8 format and more again in Redline and LE specs, and in time this will be recognised. Anyone who has purchased one of these cars has made a wise choice from a value for money point of view with respect to overall performance and engineering quality. They have put their money behind supporting Australian manufacturing and avoided paying the premium associated with brand name snobbery, a luxury that keeps on giving every time they get their car serviced;). More fool them I say.
I received my production line photo's Friday, the day the car was delivered to the dealership. I've been advised it will be good to go Thursday or Friday so getting close now. The e-mail from Holden with the photos is great, I know its marketing but it does get you more involved with the whole process. I'll take some photos of the car this week if I get the chance, the dealership I purchased through has a separate facility where new cars are delivered and prepared that can only be accessed when accompanied be a dealership staff member, I'll see how it pans out.

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
View attachment 193259 View attachment 193261 View attachment 193259 View attachment 193260

Have to agree, I have ordered silver Nitrate MSE, I saw the colour in the flesh for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it ,
Sophisticated yet powerful is how I would describe it, still haven't seen a MSE on the road, these things are rare!, I wonder how many of the 1200 have been produced to date?
Nice photos KLUBR8, thanks for posting them. Funny how the rear plastics look like a perfect match one side and not the other, the mystery of metallics and camera's. Wonder how the hood decal will look, it will at least be a little more unique.

KLUBR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Agreed, the shading in the plastics is far more obvious in photos,
In real ife and at the exact right angle there is a hint of shading
But not worth spending more than a millisecond thinking about it
As the overall appearance is breathtaking!

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Hi Snowdoggy: Thanks for your feedback on Nitrate. I have a Director on order in Nitrate and was interested in what you said. I was a bit disappointed that there were no colours for the Director. Silver is the best choice. I had a VF Calais V in Alchemy and loved it. Always looked smart but as with dark colours a pain to keep clean and showed stone chips more readily. BTW, does anyone know what the differences are with MRC on MSE and Director. Reading Holden's specs it would seem that there are different tunes for each. Everyone who has driven the Chevy SS and the HSV offerings rave about how good it is. One review on the HSV Senator Gen F said:

Well, that is, except for one major difference, and it’s down to those three letters. HSV has had Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) on its Senator and GTS models since the E Series launched in 2007, but the Gen-F gets a Generation 3 system claimed to respond more quickly and be more comfortable.
It has absolutely worked. The Gen-F Senator Signature rides superbly even against entry-level luxury cars running chubby rubber. But taking into account the 35-aspect 20-inch wheels, its comfort levels are absolutely astounding. It rides much, much better than the Clubsport, and is better even than the Holden Calais V on 19s, both of which get fixed dampers.
The Senator doesn’t fidget on freeways, it ignores small road imperfections, and barely dignifies road joins. Yet it always remains controlled. It truly rivals the air suspension of the Mercedes-Benz E- and CLS-Class, which have long been the benchmark for compliance, and likely beats them both for body control.
Not a bad recommendation, eh.
G'day Alchemistry, Its the same tune for the Director and MSE if that's what you are asking. They have a separate tune to the Chev SS and HSV, it's a Holden tune specifically for these cars ranging approximately from Touring=Holden SS FE2, Sport=Redline FE3 and Performance=harder again/track.
My understanding is it basically works by passing a current through a coil around the valve which generates a magnetic field (as coils do). The hydraulic fluid is iron? rich so its viscosity varies with the current that is passed through the coil (the iron particles become magnetised forming chains hence increasing the oil's viscosity). You could say its a variable viscosity oil damper that varies from soft to lock:D Ok, not sure about lock.

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
Saw my first MSE ever and it was on the highway to Adelaide from Vic yesterday coming at me. SOAG and looked magic, immediately identifiable on the road due to the side mirrors.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I've got MRC (third generation?) in the GenF GTS and it's a wonderful system. I don't think it's the type of application you'd want for a hard core track setup (hence the V8 Supercar Supashock setup in the W1) but it's a great all rounder for a user adjustable system.

Hi Snowdoggy: Thanks for your feedback on Nitrate. I have a Director on order in Nitrate and was interested in what you said. I was a bit disappointed that there were no colours for the Director. Silver is the best choice. I had a VF Calais V in Alchemy and loved it. Always looked smart but as with dark colours a pain to keep clean and showed stone chips more readily. BTW, does anyone know what the differences are with MRC on MSE and Director. Reading Holden's specs it would seem that there are different tunes for each. Everyone who has driven the Chevy SS and the HSV offerings rave about how good it is. One review on the HSV Senator Gen F said:

Well, that is, except for one major difference, and it’s down to those three letters. HSV has had Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) on its Senator and GTS models since the E Series launched in 2007, but the Gen-F gets a Generation 3 system claimed to respond more quickly and be more comfortable.
It has absolutely worked. The Gen-F Senator Signature rides superbly even against entry-level luxury cars running chubby rubber. But taking into account the 35-aspect 20-inch wheels, its comfort levels are absolutely astounding. It rides much, much better than the Clubsport, and is better even than the Holden Calais V on 19s, both of which get fixed dampers.
The Senator doesn’t fidget on freeways, it ignores small road imperfections, and barely dignifies road joins. Yet it always remains controlled. It truly rivals the air suspension of the Mercedes-Benz E- and CLS-Class, which have long been the benchmark for compliance, and likely beats them both for body control.
Not a bad recommendation, eh.