Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

holden commodore "royale"

dbarnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6 UTE
Discovered this on wikipedia never seen it before, I suppose alot of people already have...but hey I thought I would post it for people who havent here in Aus...
Holden_Royale_1996-1997_VS_II_serie.jpg

"Holden VS Commodore Royale (1995–1998): badge engineered Holden VS Calais sedan, built in Australia for sale in New Zealand. While in similar specification to the Calais also sold in New Zealand, the Royale featured the front-end of the Holden VS Caprice, the alloy wheels from the Holden VS Berlina and 2.5 litre X25XE V6 engine manufactured by Opel. "

Theres also

- Holden VN Commodore Royale (1992): badge engineered Holden VN Commodore sedan, built in Australia for exclusive sale in New Zealand. Like the VL, the VN Royale was sold alongside the more upmarket VN Calais, but was fitted with the 2.0 litre(in a VN?! WTF) Family II four-cylinder engine and a different four-speed automatic.

-Holden VN Royale (1989–1990s): stretched version (1,525 millimetres (60.0 in) longer) of the Holden VN Calais sedan. Jakab Industries initially undertook the conversion in Tamworth, New South Wales, until passing the job over to later Specialty Vehicles (SPV) in Sydney. In total, 54 examples were built, with the majority of examples exported to right-hand drive Asia-Pacific markets for airline, rental and hotel use, with an even smaller number of sedans special made featuring custom and optional Calais equipment.

- Holden VL Commodore Royale (1987–1989): badge engineered Holden VL Commodore sedan, built and sold exclusively in New Zealand. The VL Royale was sold alongside the more upmarket VL Calais, but did not share its unique semi-concealed headlamps and rear disc brakes. If keyless entry was specified, it was fitted by Remac Components in Napier, New Zealand. Engine-wise, the 2.0 litre Nissan RB20 straight-six was fitted, with the 3.0 litre RB30E six made optional. Both engines were coupled with a four-speed automatic

-Holden VK Commodore Royale (1984–1987): badge engineered Holden VK Calais sedan, built and sold exclusively in New Zealand. VK Calais in both Australia and New Zealand were fitted with either the three-speed automatic-only 3.3 litre Black straight-six or 5.0 litre Holden V8. Royales however, featured the 1.9 litre Starfire engine from the VH or the optional 3.3 litre six. Unique 13 inch alloy wheels were also fitted along with several other minor detail changes.

-Holden VH Commodore Royale (1981–1984): badge engineered Holden VH Commodore SL/E sedan, built and sold exclusively in New Zealand. These VH models were fitted with the 1.9 litre Starfire four-cylinder mated to either a five-speed manual or three-speed automatic.

Last edited:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
yup, not pretty either. Particularly in that colour!

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Looks like it has hubcaps too, rather than alloys. I ask...what would the point be in selling this car as well as the Calais and the Berlina? Not to mention that with the 2.5L engine, it would be less powerful than the pov pack Exec!

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
nah i think they are alloys.... though they look very 'plastic'.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
yup, not pretty either. Particularly in that colour!

Morrocan sand frost,not a bad colour really but doesnt look good in that photo.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Those are the same wheels that came with the VR Calais. Many people don't like them but I thought they looked pretty awesome when I had my old VR :)

Its funny how they try to make the car look classy yet they didn't even colour match the door handles or put on the chrome trim like they did with the Calais.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
although someone has put info on wiki, I don't think this car was actually an NZ export car either that or they sold sweet f.a, I have only seen 2 of these on the rd's here, i've seen more Group A's and Walkys than these.

I think these were actually destined for middle east.