Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore still number one in Full Sized Family

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Essentially the payload has to be greater than the passenger's weight (68kgs per person inc driver) for vehicles under 8 people load carrying capacity.
Would have been a few late nights at the ATO working that one out.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I can think of a few reasons.

1. The VE production run went far too long without substantial changes being made to the car's appearance. IMO, the VE was started to look very dated. It had lost its market appeal and people were looking to more modern designs from other makes. I realise the GFC and various other financial factors meant the production run was much longer than originally planned, but the Series 2 facelift could have been much more extensive, particularly internally.

2. As you point out, the VF is a huge improvement on the VE's interior. Holden recognised that the VE looked cheap and nasty inside and I read somewhere that the only carry over part from the VE interior is the console armrest pad. Everything else is new and far more up-market.

3. Perhaps a bit of patriotism has crept back too. The VF looks desirable and people know that once it's gone, it's gone.

Any advantage the VF may have is surely due to it's technological advances. The VE is a much better looking car with it's clean lines inside and out. The VF is a more dated looking car than the VE. When you take into account the quality control issues of the VF, the Series II is still looking good.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Any advantage the VF may have is surely due to it's technological advances. The VE is a much better looking car with it's clean lines inside and out. The VF is a more dated looking car than the VE. When you take into account the quality control issues of the VF, the Series II is still looking good.

Styling is very subjective. You obviously prefer the VE to the VF. In some ways, so do I, but by 2013,the VE WAS looking dated. There are plenty of examples of cars that are updated with new models that aren't as well styled as the cars they replace, but newness and features sell cars and that's definitely where the VF strength is at present.

The one are where the VF leaves the VE for dead is the interior. IMO, the VE was such a cheap and nasty interior from day one and the models before it were leagues ahead in quality and design. I love the dash and interior of the VY and VZ and absolutely hate the VE in every way by comparison. It's what makes cars appeal to some and not to others.