Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore VE

Frank F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2010 Commodore
Hi,
changed the battery on VE 2010 SV6 Commodore. Pretty sure I touched the ratchet spanner onto the red (+ve) terminal while screwing in the bolt that holds the battery arm. Saw a tiny puff of smoke. Finished the job and checked the voltage across the terminals which was about 14V. But the car wont start (wont even turn over) and I get a message on the dashboard screen that says "Contact Dealer". Thought I'd stuffed the battery so put my old one back in. Car still wont start. Same message.

Is this a fuse issue? Anyone know what I've done and more importantly how to fix it?

Thanks
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Attached to the battery positive terminal is a fuse block. The fuse or both fuses will have blown.

You might find one at a wrecker or shell out with a Holden dealer.

There should be a red plastic cover over the positive terminal. Should be able to use a multimeter or test light to check those fuses.

Also, connect the vent tube to the battery, which should have a little port on it. This vents any gases down through the floor.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Check these fusible links on the positive battery terminal block.
Posbatterm.jpg

Frank F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2010 Commodore
Check these fusible links on the positive battery terminal block.
View attachment 205479
Thanks Imoengnr, the pic was worth 1000 words. Immediately understood what I had to do. Found a wrecker with a positive end terminal for $30 that still had the fuse block on it. Took the fuse block off and replaced mine. Put it on tonight and we are back in business.

Frank F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2010 Commodore
Attached to the battery positive terminal is a fuse block. The fuse or both fuses will have blown.

You might find one at a wrecker or shell out with a Holden dealer.

There should be a red plastic cover over the positive terminal. Should be able to use a multimeter or test light to check those fuses.

Also, connect the vent tube to the battery, which should have a little port on it. This vents any gases down through the floor.

Thanks Fu Manchu. Found a wrecker with a positive end terminal for $30 that still had the fuse block on it. Took the fuse block off and replaced mine. Put it on tonight and we are back in business. Holden wanted $244 + GST for the same part but then found out you can buy the fuse block on its own for about $70 + GST. Thanks for teh valuable advice.