Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore VT transmission + steering + fuel issues.

pixelord

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden Commodore VT II Executive
Hi,

I am driving a 1999 Holden Commodore VT.
I bought this 6 months ago and it is my first car. So I am confused with some of the behaviors of my car as I had no other previous experiences.

Experience #1:
Sometime when I drive my car in the highway with significant speed (80 km/h) I experience this issue.
When the road has some uphill sections and I try to climb the uphill, the speed starts to fall (which is common i guess :)).
But when I push my gas padel to give some more gas to keep it in same speed, I feel that car is hesitating to change the gear.
As a result car don't get enough power. After some hesitation, the car change the gear and get the extra power.

Question: Is it really common for 1999 Holden Commodore VT? Or Is it a bad transmission?

Experience #2:

When I push brake, the steering slightly shakes. How to fix that?

Experience #3

Mine is a duel fuel car. I drive in LPG most of the time. However, I drive 1 days/week using petrol.
When I switch to petrol, I feel that for some initial 3/4 second the car doesn't get enough power. It feels like the engine is hesitating.
After speeding up, the problem goes away. It sometimes happens for first few minutes, when I stop in some red light and then trying to speed up on green light.
But ti becomes normal, after some times.

What could be the problem?

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
front rotors are worn out

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Experience 1

Sounds normal. Would be in overdrive (lock up torque converter) after 80kmh and tries to keep it in there until necessary to downshif

Experience 2
Rotors warped. Need replacing or machining.

Experience 3
Can't help sorry.
Maybe a checkup

D

devilly

when you switch from lpg to petrol,it will take a little while for the engine to adjust to the change,whats the trans dipstick colour may be due an oil change and filter change,gungazza and uniacidz with front rotors i agree, it also will only get worse until its shaking the brake pedal as well.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
# 1 tranny doing what it should at the 80 km/h point.

#2 no one mentioned sticking claipers or slides .. check these as well as rotors

#2 front suspension bushes old

#3 stale petrol maybe
#3 dont let that tank fuel drop too low or let the pump run dry

Last edited:
D

devilly

if the brakes are working the same as always, and only difference is a shaking wheel.could be front cross member to steering rack rubber wore.if brakes are not working as good as always could just need to flush and bleed fluid ,check master cylinder is working properly,check pads and rotors and inspect to see whats going on.