Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore will live beyond the VF, past 2016

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Great news for Holden fans,
The Holden Commodore will live beyond the VF, past 2016.
Contrary to the speculation, the Holden Commodore will live on past the upcoming VF. At an exclusive media presentation for the VF in Melbourne today, Holden managing director Mike Devereux said, “We will launch another Commodore after this one [VF]“.

Although Devereux refused to go into detail, he said teams have “already begun working on the next new Commodore”. He said it will be based on one of two new platforms that GM is working on for the future.

Holden will launch the new VF Commodore later this year, based on the current GM ‘Zeta’ platform that underpins the VE. Devereux said the VF will stretch out until 2016, with different iterations/minor facelifts expected throughout that time.

A full public unveiling of the VF will take place this Sunday, February 10
Holden Commodore we live past 2016 - Mike Devereux - PerformanceDrive

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Great news for Holden fans,
The Holden Commodore will live beyond the VF, past 2016.
Contrary to the speculation, the Holden Commodore will live on past the upcoming VF. At an exclusive media presentation for the VF in Melbourne today, Holden managing director Mike Devereux said, “We will launch another Commodore after this one [VF]“.

Although Devereux refused to go into detail, he said teams have “already begun working on the next new Commodore”. He said it will be based on one of two new platforms that GM is working on for the future.

Holden will launch the new VF Commodore later this year, based on the current GM ‘Zeta’ platform that underpins the VE. Devereux said the VF will stretch out until 2016, with different iterations/minor facelifts expected throughout that time.

A full public unveiling of the VF will take place this Sunday, February 10
Holden Commodore we live past 2016 - Mike Devereux - PerformanceDrive

....But my understanding is that it will be a world car (like the original commodore), and FWD (which, I argue, the original commodore could have been), and smaller (like the original commodore). Original VB Commodore is just a re-badged Opel Rekord/Senator with HZ holden drivetrain. Many parts on it are stamped 'made in west germany'. Under the bonnet it is obvious the pressings were for a different vehicle with the Opel engines. In fact, half the pictures in the 1978 factory workshop manual is of a LHD opel!!

that being said I would have no issue with a FWD Commodore. Lighter, more efficient, and 95% of the time you won't know the difference. Its a fantastic chance for holden to get back on track locally. Its a pity ford couldn't/wouldn't do the same thing to balance things out.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
....But my understanding is that it will be a world car (like the original commodore), and FWD (which, I argue, the original commodore could have been),

I highly doubt it will be FWD. The lead designer hinted towards RWD and Deveraux (Holden CEO) refused to say either way, but did say that "RWD is in Commodore DNA" straight after. As for the original VB being FWD?? Nope. Was never on the cards.

and smaller (like the original commodore). Original VB Commodore is just a re-badged Opel Rekord/Senator with HZ holden drivetrain. Many parts on it are stamped 'made in west germany'. Under the bonnet it is obvious the pressings were for a different vehicle with the Opel engines. In fact, half the pictures in the 1978 factory workshop manual is of a LHD opel!!

Yes and no. A lot of the parts were from the Rekord but the platform and suspension system it'self was heavily re-engineered to take the 6 cyl and V8 engines + not fall completely apart on Australias roads.

that being said I would have no issue with a FWD Commodore. Lighter, more efficient, and 95% of the time you won't know the difference.

Other than every second that you drive the car, you wouldn't notice the difference. The primary reason for FWD is actually packaging and improved interior space. Weight savings?? minimal. Fuel efficiency?? None.

Overall chance of the Commodore going FWD in MY2016?? I'd rate it less than 10%. Most people seem to forget the Malibu will be released shortly which will fill that large/medium Camry sized niche of the market.

Reaper

edit: Actually, the more I think about it, the less likely FWD gets. I just cannot see GM green lighting Australia to go it alone on such a thing when there is zero export potential for such a thing as GM already has the Impala which would just be imported here in RHD form. I couldn't imagine Holden tooling up Elizabeth for such low volumes when a ready made zero cost is just a boat ride away.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Original VB Commodore is just a re-badged Opel Rekord/Senator with HZ holden drivetrain. Many parts on it are stamped 'made in west germany'. Under the bonnet it is obvious the pressings were for a different vehicle with the Opel engines. In fact, half the pictures in the 1978 factory workshop manual is of a LHD opel!!.

Your comments are highly misleading. The VB Commodore was much more than Opel bodies fitted with Holden mechanicals. In fact, it had far more Australian input and engineering than you give Holden credit for.

Whilst the basic design was an Opel, the VB is a combination of Opel Record (4 cylinder) and Commodore (6 cylinder) body components, with dramatically strengthened critical body and suspension reinforcements. Under testing, it was found that the Opelbodies simply fell apart (literally) under normal standards of Holden dirt-road testing. Subframes had to be upgraded and additional reinforcement added at key areas such as the front chassis rails. The original recirculating ball steering was ditched for rack and pinion. The Opel front struts were substantially strengthened to withstand local conditions. The final result was a car that even Opel engineers admitted was far superior to the original. The only weak point in the early Commodores was the ancient Holden red sixes which were way past their use-by date in 1978.

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
If the VF is a success in the States (as the SS) - they will build a replacement for the VF RWD car here in Adelaide.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I dont like FWD. It leads to compromises in the front suspension, due to lack of space, much greater point loads on the front suspension as the gearbox is located very close to the suspension members.

Also the weight balance usually affects the car handling.

Also - and to my mind this is a fatal point - it means that the front wheels carry the bulk of the load, provide the bulk of the braking and all of the control inputs. So if any one front suspension component, from crossmembers through to tyre pressures, is worn or not perfect or damaged, EVERYTHING the car does is compromised to a greater extent.

Front tyre low in pressure ? At least in RWD you have some power down still. IN FWD your braking effort, steering effort AND power down is compromised.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I dont like FWD. It leads to compromises in the front suspension, due to lack of space, much greater point loads on the front suspension as the gearbox is located very close to the suspension members.

Also the weight balance usually affects the car handling.

Also - and to my mind this is a fatal point - it means that the front wheels carry the bulk of the load, provide the bulk of the braking and all of the control inputs. So if any one front suspension component, from crossmembers through to tyre pressures, is worn or not perfect or damaged, EVERYTHING the car does is compromised to a greater extent.

Front tyre low in pressure ? At least in RWD you have some power down still. IN FWD your braking effort, steering effort AND power down is compromised.

Regardless of any reservations you and others may have regarding FWD, the next "Commodore" will follow the engineering lead of GM. It will have to share commonality of much of the sub-structure and engineering with a range of GM "world car" models, with some minor styling input to give the car a Holden identity.

I imagine the Malibu will show the way that Holden's styling and engineering input will be directed. Minor grille changes, ala Cruze, different wheels or wheel trims and perhaps tweaking of some trim. The suspension and steering are the areas most likely to benefit from Holden input, but unfortunately, Holden is seen as the doyen of GM RWD architecture, rather than FWD, so they will have a lot of work to do to successfully re-engineer the car for Australian roads.