Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden copping a pasting in the V8s

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
People still watch v8 supertrains? Amazing, I suggest you get along to some of the production racing, brilliant stuff.

Agreed minux,and some of the more grass roots style....the HQs,sports sedans etc......seen some of the best racing ive ever seen from the side of my local circuit....

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
apologies for not posting this in the right section..... i have had a nasty headache for 3 days straight, and my brain doesn't work real well at the moment.

i don't watch it these days for the reasons some have stated. Not because the holdens win one in every 20 races these days.... but because of the whole format. There is little difference between the cars except for the skin over the top. They share the same suspension, the same engine internals, the same fuel management....... and the fact that when the Commdores were so dominant, the blue oval camp screamed about pulling out unless it was made more even, which they then punished the commodores with more weight. These days, i think they carry the same weight?? like i said, i don't really follow it all that much.... hence the reason i asked.... what are holden doing wrong? do they need better engineers? Do they need to spend more money?

Bring back production racing!! that was the best format!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
blame operation BLUEprint........ the Blue Oval, you do the math.

i remember a few years back when HRT, Kmart and the HSV teams werebanned from testing because they worked together. this year Jim beam racing, team 888 vodafone and another team all built there cars together and yet that is fine. more double standards. i turned the race on but didn't really watch it.

the only satisfying thing in the whole race was seeing lowndes suffer

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The China F1 race killed the V8's as far as interesting racing. Some of the passing in the wet around the outside of turn 7 was simple awsome.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
EDIT Off topic: And just to think, the VN was set to feature the Nissan RB30/ET motors until Nissan put the price up (Buick nearly wasn't ready, which is why the series 1 was so rough). The RB30ET which was better than the VL V8... what kind of crazy world would we live in if they dropped the 5.0L all together or made a good enough deal to get the RB26DETT in some form of super Commodore.

Probably something for another thread entirely but the RB30 cost had more to do with the Aus$ being floated and subsequently devalued vs the US$ (and in turn Yen) than Nissan putting the price up per-say.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
People still watch v8 supertrains? Amazing, I suggest you get along to some of the production racing, brilliant stuff.

I'll see your production and raise you a Historic Racers. Historic Sandown was the most enjoyable day at the races I have had in near 20 years!

Reaper

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
Sorry for not reading the posts, If i recall correctly, 7 were discussing the FG Falcon's superior aerodynamics due to their shape. Prolly one of many reasons :thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sorry for not reading the posts, If i recall correctly, 7 were discussing the FG Falcon's superior aerodynamics due to their shape. Prolly one of many reasons :thumbsup:

i though the idea of operation blue(ovel)print was to even the cars so that one make doesn't have a advantage over the other.

was just watching V8supercar extra, murph touched on the fact that the wincup car was able to run faster yet use substancially less fuel then the other cars in the field?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
i though the idea of operation blue(ovel)print was to even the cars so that one make doesn't have a advantage over the other.

was just watching V8supercar extra, murph touched on the fact that the wincup car was able to run faster yet use substancially less fuel then the other cars in the field?

The problem is that as long as you are using two different designs of equipment, one is always going to be superior to the other. The only way you can achieve true parity is for everybody to be using the same equipment supplied by the same manufacturer.

I see it every weekend racing my boats and it happens everywhere machinery is involved in sport.

Reaper

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
blame operation BLUEprint........ the Blue Oval, you do the math.

i remember a few years back when HRT, Kmart and the HSV teams werebanned from testing because they worked together. this year Jim beam racing, team 888 vodafone and another team all built there cars together and yet that is fine. more double standards. i turned the race on but didn't really watch it.

the only satisfying thing in the whole race was seeing lowndes suffer

sounds about right...... the Ford guys must have more push or they are smoking the right rope. I remember a few years back when the Commodore was wiping the track with the fords.... they penalised the holdens by making them take 6" off the underside of their front spoiler, screwed their aerodynamics up badly... all because the Fords threatened to pull out if they weren't more competitive. It's all politics....