Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden copping a pasting in the V8s

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Omega and i were at sandown 500 2003? and saw the last true holden romp it in and beat ambrose, was Mark skaife and Todd kelly man it p1ssed down that day LOL, the next season all holden teams switched to the holden motorsport engine (allot of teams were already using a chev block if not all at this stage but the HM engine was a different casting almost identicle in bore and stoke and the degree of the V to the ford 5 litre).

(by true holden i mean holden/chev 5 litre not the older design chev 304 which is the HM one, and mcpherson strut front end) Holden was too quick in this form and after this avesco changed to the rules for project blueprint

Yeah you are being illogical :p they switched from the 304 Holden to the 302 Chev in 1993? 10 years before you saw this race, the 302 chev and 302 Ford have allways shared the same bore and stroke 4 inch x 3 inch since oooooo the 1960s

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
When did the last "true Holden" race??? How can you claim that the chev was a true Holden? IIRC the last Holden 5 litre raced was by Larry Perkins in the mid
90's - VP or VR. I Ambrose was a child back then!

Of course you could argue that the last car with more than a passing resemblance to it's road going counterpart was the VN Group A which died a natural in the very early 90's after being the GTR's whipping boy for a couple of seasons.

Reaper

The ute are pretty close to true holdens and fords. Just a ute with a cage. Most even still have the radio (lol @ the driver who had his cranked during the race)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The ute are pretty close to true holdens and fords. Just a ute with a cage. Most even still have the radio (lol @ the driver who had his cranked during the race)

Haha - fair point. I hadn't considered them however I was more referring to the cars in the ATCC.

Reaper

greggy85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6 M6
You want decent V8 racing.. BrUtes.. The V8 Ute's are still proper cars, with proper engines, and they have much better, more raw racing.
Thats my 2 cents.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
Not sure what happened to him. Things have been on a steady decline since the end of the K-Mart days.

Anybody notice that the fastest lap of Bathurst was murph in the Kmart commodore in 2003 (and he reckons he could have gone faster) 6 years later the cars are now more of a "race car" (if you can call them that) than ever, in my mind as tech advances etc shouldn’t they be blasting the lap record? or at least getting close??

the whole thing is one big pain in the ass, im sure that 888 have inside info on e85 given that they were the only team allowed to test it and in turn map the fuel etc, I cant believe that they shortened the commodores rear doors to meat the blue print requirements, on and for gods sake will they toughen up the bloody control arms! Im sick of watching 2 cars bump and end up with a broken or bent steering arm! cuz that’s what every one wants

Hopefully thell pull there heads in and sort it all out, before it all goes stale

Immortality I definatly agree about there not being enough motorsport on TV in nz, far to much golf hahaha

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 3.8L VC Commodore
It isnt about Holden Vs. Ford anymore. It's about the drivers, engineers, and pit crew. The cars are the same just to make it all constant. Its crap, i know, i agree with many out here; that they should return it back to production car, or to start a new series or production car racing. The humle V8 supercar, is outdated, with many street cars having better performance.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Supercars as we know it may be over soon anyway. Holden have said if VESA introduce a nascar style COT then they wont be involved.

Premier 350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Aclaim Wagon
Well, team teflon are at it again........

Piss poor officaldom strikes again. whincup turns Perkins around at T-ville.
Guess what? no penalty. Again. Looks like 888 have gotten hold of the pics of
the stewards ****ing the goat.

The same pics that Sprung Breaking Rules used when Dirty ambrose "won" the
championship in2003.

Your name is jamie whincup = rules don't apply. For I am a CHAMPION.
Anyone else see shades of marcos (camry driver) ambrose?

gtho. overrated then, overpriced now. AND bested by a 3.3 L at Bathurst