Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Cruze 2011 - PURGE SOLENOID FAULT?

Burnesy-01

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Hello all,

I own a 2011 Holden Cruze 1.4 L Turbo inter cooled with 92000 KMS.

I have been informed by Holden that the Purge Solenoid needs replacing.. now I have attempted to do some research on this and unable to find anything.

The car was using up to 130% more fuel than needed (as I am told by Holden) as evident by the average fuel consumption jumping from 5.5 - 45.5 L per 100 km.

There is an odd sound from the engine bay, which appears to disappears when the AC is turned on. (Holden tell me this noise is from the Solenoid).

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you can shed some light on the problem.

I was quoted $362 to replace the solenoid and $225 for the part itself.

Cheers
Burnesy

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Old post I know, but how did you get on? My wife's Cruze is making (I assume?) the same noise: A clicking noise coming from the valve on the aluminium intake housing to the turbo. I have narrowed it down to this valve via a stethiscope. The noise is there when the ignition is on. Engine running or not.
Anyone else have any idea?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Old post I know, but how did you get on? My wife's Cruze is making (I assume?) the same noise: A clicking noise coming from the valve on the aluminium intake housing to the turbo. I have narrowed it down to this valve via a stethiscope. The noise is there when the ignition is on. Engine running or not.
Anyone else have any idea?
Did u sort it out?

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Nope...
Car still goes fine. Going on a trip next week (wife driving. I will be taking my VX...) so I guess we will see.
Big trip planned a few months hence. THat will sort it too!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Nope...
Car still goes fine. Going on a trip next week (wife driving. I will be taking my VX...) so I guess we will see.
Big trip planned a few months hence. THat will sort it too!
What year and model?
Any chance of taking a photo of the spot the noise is coming from..

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
My nephew has the same car as original post I got a new genuine purge solenoid for 110, fitting it took 5min but what your saying is something different as the purge valve sits at the back of the plastic intake on its own bracket on that model, hope the person didn't pay the labour of over 100 unless that was the price including removing the fault code which you can have done for 28 at supercheap .

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
I just went and had a look. Its a December 2011 JH Series 2 Cruze. 1.4 litre turbo. (Auto).
I have a picture, I need to work out how to post that.
But the valve is towards the driver's side of the turbo waste gate valve - and looks like it controls that.
From my observation, it cotrols the turbo wastegate by opening and closing off vacuum to the valve.
The solenoid is controlled by a PCM waveform to modulate it. I think the sound is the PCM waveform.
Not sure if is because the solenoid valve is a bit worn so it rattles a bit? Or some other operating parameter has changed so it thinks it needs to modulate the waste gate at idle. Maybe that's normal as well?
Thanks for the tip re Super Cheap resetting trouble codes. My VX has some stuck codes that need to be cleared.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I just went and had a look. Its a December 2011 JH Series 2 Cruze. 1.4 litre turbo. (Auto).
I have a picture, I need to work out how to post that.
But the valve is towards the driver's side of the turbo waste gate valve - and looks like it controls that.
From my observation, it cotrols the turbo wastegate by opening and closing off vacuum to the valve.
The solenoid is controlled by a PCM waveform to modulate it. I think the sound is the PCM waveform.
Not sure if is because the solenoid valve is a bit worn so it rattles a bit? Or some other operating parameter has changed so it thinks it needs to modulate the waste gate at idle. Maybe that's normal as well?
Thanks for the tip re Super Cheap resetting trouble codes. My VX has some stuck codes that need to be cleared.
Same car then, Check out this guy videos ,

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Don't no what happen with the jpeg picture or where it came from.
Only thing I remember is in the plastic intake box it has valve flaps which do fail someone came up with a buy pass system you can buy, the rail your talking about is the injector and fuel rail, also I think they have a VVT solenoid one on each side of engine, if you go on this guys channel and type cruze it will show u all his videos on that car.