Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Cruze

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
So Holden will offer 3 compact size models all built off the same Delta platform :S

Barina - Sub compact

Cruze - Compact (Delta platform)
2010 Australian - Compact (Delta platform)
Astra - Compact (Delta platform)

Epica - Midsize (why we sell this and not the Insignia is beyond me)

Last edited:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
At least the model overlap will not as bad as Toyota's 4wd overlap.

Rav 4 = med/large (much bigger than the original rav 4)
Kluger = Large
Prado = large
Land Cruiser = large

Even the Hilux is now huge. :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Epica - Midsize (why we sell this and not the Insignia is beyond me)

Because the Insignia looks like a good car, and is therefore probably expensive ^_^ GM have a habit of assuming that Australians do not want good cars from Holden. We got the good Astra for a while, but even that didn't last :p

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Because the Insignia looks like a good car, and is therefore probably expensive ^_^ GM have a habit of assuming that Australians do not want good cars from Holden. We got the good Astra for a while, but even that didn't last :p

It was voted European Car of the Year 2009, so I assume it doesn't just look good, but it IS good :p

The next Astra is meant to be just as good too, so it would be a shame if that is canned to make way for an aussie version of the Cruze.

I honestly don't see a place for the aussie built version.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
If the Aus car is good enough to win our hearts (Torana, and with at least an alloytech as the premium motor) then it could replace the Astra, but to have a V6 would mean it's going to replace the Epica which replaced the Vectra?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I really don't see a front wheel drive car based on the Chevvy Cruze as winning the hearts of most australians.

The Cruze is built on the compact Delta II platform as will the aussie car. Its not large enough to replace the mid-sized Epica especially with a hatch form.

Also they've only said it is going to be a 4 cylinder, not a V6.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It was voted European Car of the Year 2009, so I assume it doesn't just look good, but it IS good :p

The next Astra is meant to be just as good too, so it would be a shame if that is canned to make way for an aussie version of the Cruze.

I honestly don't see a place for the aussie built version.

Hey man the Fiesta got car of the year in Europe in one of the two big magazines: ) and come second by ONE point out of 600? in the other. Anyway the current Astra is 50 times better than this Cruze :)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey man the Fiesta got car of the year in Europe in one of the two big magazines: ) and come second by ONE point out of 600? in the other. Anyway the current Astra is 50 times better than this Cruze :)

Yeah, although the two awards are a little different. I'd like to know what the one point was for that seperated the two :p

The fiesta was voted car of the year by What Car? which is a website for selling cars, basically the British version of Carsales. See link Home - What Car? Helping you buy better

The Insignia was voted European Car Of The Year by the European motoring press, which is a panel made up of motoring journalists from publications throughout Europe with representation from each country being based on the size of the country's car market and car manufacturing industry. It consists of around 58 members from 22 countries.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
You're right - I didn't read the article fully. I was of the opinion that earlier articles had said Holden was producing a locally manufactured four cylinder car in 2010 and assumed this was that car.

Is the Cruze just another Daewoo with Holden badges and design/engineering input, and there is another car coming next year, or is this the car, imported for the time being, but locally manufactured from next year?

I went to the motorshow last night and had a look at them. On first impressions it's actually a very good thing. NFI how it drives of course but the finish and overall design does seem worlds better than your normal Korean fare. The sales guy said it would be initially built by GM Daewoo in Korea and later built in Elizabeth. My gf will probably be looking for a new car next year and it will probably be on the short list for a drive at least.

Reaper

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
My gf will probably be looking for a new car next year and it will probably be on the short list for a drive at least.

Reaper

LOL, I'm in the same boat Reaper. We'll be in the market for a car for the mrs in a few months and she's already sold on the Cruze! I think it would look good in the garage beside the SSV. So yeah, a test drive is definitely on the cards when they come out...

Anyone have any idea on pricing??