Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden diff / axle codes

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Can anybody provide me with a comprehensive list - or at least point to the resources - of Holden's axle codes?? I'm talking about the code which appears on the identification plate - for a couple of examples, I know about these ones...

GU4 = 3.08:1
GM3 = 3.45:1

My SV6 has GT9 in the axle code field, I believe that's around 2.89:1 or thereabouts. I'm not looking at changing my diff - yet - but I would like the comprehensive figures to help out with some speedo calibrations.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction, I offer my eternal gratitude. :D This info must be out there somewhere....

Cheerz all! :thumbsup:

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
GU80 = 2.96:1 from memory

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Thanks Burnz - that's another one to the list.

Cheerz! :thumbsup:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Outstanding Pete - thanks for that reference Mate, it's excellent! And not just for the diff codes either... :thumbsup:

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Phreddy

I don't know if Holden still does it, but they used to stamp the ratio on the diff pinion shaft dust cover.

gerry attrique

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
OK , stirring up an old post but what I am chasing is info regarding axle codes and I mean axle's not the centre . I have an lsd BW78 rear assy from a commodore in a 57 chev wgn which spat out an axle recently . Question is , what the hell is this out of ? The axles have casting marks at the axle flange which are 0578 ( BW78 ) and 965 (R/H ) 966 (L/H ) . Although my son and daughter drive commodore's as their daily's we are all old school with no deep knowledge on Commodores and me personally , I am a dinosaur when it comes to my preferences for cruising although I have had a VE SV6 ute and a VE SSVe ute as work vehicles so don't completely condemn me ! If anyone can shed some light on this query for me , I would be very grateful as I have spent considerable time already chasing info on the net and come up empty handed . Appreciated for any help that can be given .

H

harrop.senator

Measure the track width itll be vl rarish in bw78 or most probably vn - vs which all axles wagon sedan ute are same lengths v8 or v6 just need specific left n right as lengths differ.

gerry attrique

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
OK , Thanks Harrop.Senator ! That will shorten the list somewhat . Will be replacing both axles as with past experience over the years , once you replace one , the other lets go a week or so later . May not happen with the newer cars now due to improved metallurgy etc , but was a regular weird thing that happened with the old girl's . Face of flange to face of flange is 1518 mm . I am assuming the housing and axles have not been cut . Thanks again for your assistance .