Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Extended Factory Warranty - Thoughts and Opinions Requested

Extend the factory warranty?

• Yes - great idea

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No - waste of money

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Mine has 5 years free servicing
Is this a typo? Free servicing or fixed-price?
If it’s free, is this a dealer-supplied thing or is it at any Holden dealer?

sequal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV

I have 5 free Holden services.

They accidentally gave me the free services instead of a 5 year warranty which was in my contract, and by the time it was noticed, there was no changing it in their system. They were legally obliged to give me the warranty, so I got both.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

no typo, it came from the dealer with 5 years free servicing so every time I take it in they do the service and hand it back with an invoice of work done with $0 balance.
it was a holden offer so I can take it to any dealer but the one I take it to is a good one so I wouldn't take it anywhere else.

would have been nice if it had 5 years warranty too lol
svc.jpg

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I bought the extended factory warranty. From memory it was time only for 36mths. I figured i'm only doing about 5-6000km a year in it (if that), so there was no point in extending km's. I think I paid around $1600 for it, or thereabouts.

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I'd like to know if the vehicle had been properly serviced in that time. Companies will generally assist to some degree of there is a major failure just outside the manufacturers warranty period, as long as the owner adheres to servicing requirements.

Of course.

Unlikely to have a leg to stand on if you haven't followed manufacturers recommendations.

I didn't ask them about whether they kept up with servicing (in hindsight this is an excellent point I hadn't thought of) but knowing the person it is entirely possible they didn't. Could explain the predicament they are in.

I know you(the op) have read this page but i will post it for other people so they can also read the PDS

https://www.holden.com.au/owners-info/warranty-info/holden-extended-factory-warranty

Thanks for posting that, I think that is very helpful for everyone.

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
nope not dealer warranty but factory. Here
4LbSI8b

I guess if we share what has been paid for extended warranties then it would give people who haven't bought one yet and want to go down that road some negotiating power because it appears there is some variability in the prices quoted. Thanks to all that have posted what they paid.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Emailed Holden Customer care to inquire about purchasing an extended warranty and the reply is as follows -
"Thanks for contacting Holden Customer Care regarding your enquiry about purchasing extended factory warranty for your vehicle.

Unfortunately, our extended warranty program can’t be purchased. You may want to contact Alan Mance Holden and ask them if they offer a dealer based warranty for your vehicle."

So, have they stopped offering extended factory warranties or this person has absolutely no clue?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
So, have they stopped offering extended factory warranties or this person has absolutely no clue?

This is by no means gospel, however i'd think that the extended factory warranty would have to be purchased/arranged when the car is new, and more than likely before it is delivered.

Otherwise, they would have no way of knowing how the car has been treated before the owner decides they want to purchase such a warranty weeks/months/years down the track.

This weeds out the people who suspect an issue is developing with their car and purchase warranty to cover it in case something decides to go bang later on. (not suggesting that this is the case here by any means)

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
This is by no means gospel, however i'd think that the extended factory warranty would have to be purchased/arranged when the car is new, and more than likely before it is delivered.

Otherwise, they would have no way of knowing how the car has been treated before the owner decides they want to purchase such a warranty weeks/months/years down the track.

This weeds out the people who suspect an issue is developing with their car and purchase warranty to cover it in case something decides to go bang later on. (not suggesting that this is the case here by any means)

I did ask about extended warranty before I purchased. I was informed that it could be purchased anytime during the initial warranty period, though it was apparently a little cheaper if purchased early on.

When I was last at the dealership (in March), I asked about extending the warranty. I said to me to talk to ‘sales’ and do it very soon. Sales were busy and they didn’t get back to me. So, I’m now wondering if Holden is withdrawing the warranty extensions?

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Just got off the phone to Customer Care. Initial response from the lady was: ‘no you cannot purchase additional factory warranty’ which is a reversal of a conversation I had with them last July, which was pay $1500 to opt into the 7 year warranty that came out in September 2017 (sadly my Calais V came in August with only 3 years!). I said for her to check... after a hold she said that the current policy of extending factory warranty is under review and they aren’t taking up additional factory warranty purchases at this time. However she will escalate my case with the relevant team because I have a recorded Facebook conversation detailing what I will get and the price if I paid them last July (now in hindsight I should have done that right? :oops:). I’m hoping that the recorded Facebook conversation works out in my favour considering it was something offered to me, as opposed to just asking right now though I know that won’t be helpful for many of us.

Will get back to you all when I have a response - if this is the case and they are ending factory warranty, I would be inclined to get a factory warranty ASAP if still possible for peace of mind - after all we purchased our Commodores for the long run so a small investment in additional warranty for those of us with only the 3 years will give peace of mind. :)