Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Factory

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Sad to say guys, the real Holden is going to die soon. Badge engineering does not makes it a true Holden. Might as well leave the Bow Tie on them; some people are going to change it back anyway.

Perhaps is time to jump on the Electric Car bandwagon. I bet the Gov is going to support it; like ours does. Along with Solar Panels and the whole shabang. By the way, the Faraday name is taken already... I think, Watts as car name/brand still available.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The Holden name means a lot in Australia so it can stay here and still be iconic to us if no-one else.

Our government won't involve itself with the auto industry like it has in the past as it spent too much for too little benefit.

If someone here wants to set up an electric car company they will need private backing.

@Crewman

The licensing arrangement I referred to was part of the suggested buy - out agreement. It was a condition of the take-over that the new owners could continue to build Commodores for a limited period until their own designs were ready for production. It was never intended to be a permanent arrangement.

Last edited:

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
@Crewman

The licensing arrangement I referred to was part of the suggested buy - out agreement. It was a condition of the take-over that the new owners could continue to build Commodores for a limited period until their own designs were ready for production. It was never intended to be a permanent arrangement.

I'm struggling to see any benefit - the new owner has to spend time and money maintaining the struggling production and supplier base while producing a car under license after purchasing their entire brand, distribution and dealer networks, all in a very short period of time?

It would make more sense to do what Dumarey is proposing and split it down the middle once Holden is finally done with the plant. That way Holden can maintain it's brand and distribution networks while Dumarey can develop his own that work in line with his brand.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
2 main reasons for Holden closing the factory....The reduction in the tariff for imported cars all those years ago.

2nd....bloody unions.....Joe blow could have more qualifications and responsibilities within the work place, when compared to Freddy next to him, yet they'll pay Freddy the same wage as Joe Blow....Because the union says it has to happen or our workers will strike.

FWIW, I used to work at a tyre shop, a stones throw away from the factory....When Holden went to the 1 week on, one week off scenario about 6 or so years ago, I noticed a down turn in trade, along with other businesses in the vacinity....Having them close is going to hurt that area for a while

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm struggling to see an
y benefit - the new owner has to spend time and money maintaining the struggling production and supplier base while producing a car under license after purchasing their entire brand, distribution and dealer networks, all in a very short period of time?

It would make more sense to do what Dumarey is proposing and split it down the middle once Holden is finally done with the plant. That way Holden can maintain it's brand and distribution networks while Dumarey can develop his own that work in line with his brand.

I agree completely that the idea probably makes no business sense. I did say at the end of my original post that it was just a dream. It's just one that I would love to think DID make sense and COULD happen.

Incidentally I was unaware of the other proposal to buy the plant but the article indicates that GM was open to the idea. You suggested that might not be so. I respect the fact that you could possess knowledge that I don't but I still believe that GM would take the money if the offer was good enough.

Regarding having to re-establish the dealer network, there is no reason why the existing dealers could not sell GM products alongside the "new Holden". Multiple make dealer franchises, including long term Holden dealerships, are now quite common.

Last edited:

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I agree completely that the idea probably makes no business sense. I did say at the end of my original post that it was just a dream. It's just one that I would love to think DID make sense and COULD happen.

If anyone could make it happen I think he could.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
2 main reasons for Holden closing the factory....The reduction in the tariff for imported cars all those years ago.

2nd....bloody unions.....Joe blow could have more qualifications and responsibilities within the work place, when compared to Freddy next to him, yet they'll pay Freddy the same wage as Joe Blow....Because the union says it has to happen or our workers will strike.

FWIW, I used to work at a tyre shop, a stones throw away from the factory....When Holden went to the 1 week on, one week off scenario about 6 or so years ago, I noticed a down turn in trade, along with other businesses in the vacinity....Having them close is going to hurt that area for a while

TBH your 2nd point is a contributing factor but not major. Point #1 is very significant and one not mentioned was the simple down right stupidity of GM management. I've said it before and I've said it again - Holden and it's demise will be a case study of what not to do in marketing 101 for decades to come. How to take a top 10 recognised brands with market leadership and systemically relegate it to a bit player at best in little more than a decade. GM should hang their heads in shame.

As for a 3rd party buy out - forget it. Not going to happen. Without intimate and seamless GM co-operation, any new model will be virtually impossible to integrate with GM Powertrain let alone the logistics of getting something manufacturing ready and establishing a dealership network, supply chain etc etc in less than 2 years.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon

Incidentally I was unaware of the other proposal to buy the plant but the article indicates that GM was open to the idea. You suggested that might not be so. I respect the fact that you could possess knowledge that I don't but I still believe that GM would take the money if the offer was good enough.

Regarding having to re-establish the dealer network, there is no reason why the existing dealers could not sell GM products alongside the "new Holden". Multiple make dealer franchises, including long term Holden dealerships, are now quite common.

Okay I missed that bit where you said that it was a dream :)

The problem with the whole thing is the timeline - GMH won't be able to get rid of the plant for a while and this new guy wants to start cementing things next year. Plus like I mentioned, there is a lot to discuss in terms of IP and other agreements.

Plus GM has only recently heard of his idea, so there is a very long way to go before a decision can be made.

But I agree, of all options on the table I would love to see this guy take over and create a model mix based on the Zeta, built locally and exported globally. Like Noeleter said, If anyone could make it happen I think he could.