Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOLDEN had asked the government for more taxpayer money to build fewer cars using a s

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Suv's as they call them are the most practical vehicle to buy if you have young kids.
Having the tail gate act as a shelter during rain is a huge bonus - not to mention the ease of getting babies in and out at waste hight.
then theres the fact a lot have seven seats so you can fit more then just your family in the one car.

The way I see it:
small car = petrol saver/teen girl.
large sedan = performance/luxury/ mostly male.
large wagon = space for sales reps.
suv = everyone else.

suv's are popular because they cover the largest share of what poeple want and need.
at the end of the day they are people mover vans but are well appointed and dont look to bad.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Suv's as they call them are the most practical vehicle to buy if you have young kids.
Having the tail gate act as a shelter during rain is a huge bonus - not to mention the ease of getting babies in and out at waste hight.
then theres the fact a lot have seven seats so you can fit more then just your family in the one car.

The way I see it:
small car = petrol saver/teen girl.
large sedan = performance/luxury/ mostly male.
large wagon = space for sales reps.
suv = everyone else.

suv's are popular because they cover the largest share of what poeple want and need.
at the end of the day they are people mover vans but are well appointed and dont look to bad.

I've got kids and both me and the missus couldn't think of anything worse than driving an SUV.

We had a look at some a while back and found them to be cumbersome and lacking in driving dynamics. We also found they actually don't have any more space than a normal mid sized sedan/ hatch ( generally).

We settled on the Audi for the main shopping trolley and kid taxi duties, and I'm so glad we did. We have never once thought 'man we need an SUV' since...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I've got kids and both me and the missus couldn't think of anything worse than driving an SUV.

We had a look at some a while back and found them to be cumbersome and lacking in driving dynamics. We also found they actually don't have any more space than a normal mid sized sedan/ hatch ( generally).

We settled on the Audi for the main shopping trolley and kid taxi duties, and I'm so glad we did. We have never once thought 'man we need an SUV' since...

Whilst I'm not on the Audi band wagon I entirely agree with the first bit. Interior size vs outside dimensions are truly hideous. Bang in 2 kid seats in the back and see if you can get an adult to sit in the 3rd seat. In most of them the answer is NO!. Whack a pram in the back and see what you can fit beside it. The answer in most cases is bugger all. Now, go get a Falcon or Commodore wagon and do the same. The answer (and I know this from personal experience) is YES! and shitloads!

The only advantage the SUV's have over the car based cars are an elevated seating position which helps in vision and I supposed makes it easier for the busted arse geriatrics like Calaber to get in an out. :D

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
And to do up the kids seat belts and get the youngest in and out...
theres plenty of room in the back of the missus ml for an adult and 2 car seats.
vision is definitely advantage and the driving dynamics are just fine.
the boot fits a pram and more quite easily and while you shouldn't when I have not had any more room I pull the blind over and put light objects on top.
its also great to lay the seats flat and fit a queen sized caravan mattress for sleeping in the car or going to the drive ins.
and while its no off roader by any means - I can navigate through some fairly rough terrain which I would even consider in my commodore.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The only advantage the SUV's have over the car based cars are an elevated seating position which helps in vision and I supposed makes it easier for the busted arse geriatrics like Calaber to get in an out. :D

Gees, that's a bit cruel. In my case, there's more than just a busted arse to think of.

Regarding interior space. Some SUV's (can's someone think of a better name than that - they are not "sports" vehicles at all) have absolutely no boot space and are virtually useless for carrying loads plus passengers. The Captiva does ok in that area - we have the two kids in the back, one requiring a child seat, a large pram in the boot and there is room for the third adult, plus quite a bit of gear.

Driving dynamics are reasonably good and the Captiva is by no means the pick of the crop - it is old and gets a lot of flak from the media because it is no longer competitive with the best. Brakes are good - better than the Berlina it replaced. Performance is adequate but economy is dismal (the damned things are too bloody heavy). Compared to my daughter's VE wagon, the load area is shorter but much higher, so it is capable of carrying larger items in terms of height, but not as long. Horses for courses there. Admittedly, the Captiva is only a medium sized vehicle for its type, so it doesn't have the excessive dimensions that a Landcruiser, Prado or similar sized barges have. I think it's a fairly good compromise.

My ideal vehicle would be a VZ sized Commodore wagon, but sitting higher for that busted arse. I did consider an Adventra when buying the Captiva, but to get all the goodies, it had to be the V8 which I didn't want or need.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6

Amen on that one , I was in the market last year, when I traded the VX , I had a look at some SUV's , Captiva , an Explorer , and a Mazda, as well , they were OK , but I personally found that on the road they did not live up to expectations , plus , " she who must be obeyed " , said" your are dreaming if you think I'm going to be seen in one of those , I am not an angry soccer mum , with a eating disorder , that black VZ you tried , get that " . So i did .

But she still drives the Alfa Romeo . :rolleyes:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Amen on that one , I was in the market last year, when I traded the VX , I had a look at some SUV's , Captiva , an Explorer , and a Mazda, as well , they were OK , but I personally found that on the road they did not live up to expectations , plus , " she who must be obeyed " , said" your are dreaming if you think I'm going to be seen in one of those , I am not an angry soccer mum , with a eating disorder , that black VZ you tried , get that " . So i did .

But she still drives the Alfa Romeo . :rolleyes:

Any woman who drives something like an Alfa is never going to be seen in something as crude or common as a Captiva/Explorer etc.