Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden halts production of Commodore and Equinox

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
One must think back 2 years ago, maximum and think VW and what happened with them....They seem to have bounced back alright.....Then do I mention Focus and Fiesta and what happened to Ford with those cars? How is that company fairing?

Who knows, Holden might bounce back too....
The problem is there is no comparison between why VW sales dipped and why Holdens have.

VW suffered a drop due to, lets call it a lack of consumer confidence. They didnt completely change the configuration of their most iconic badged model and try and fill a heap of different market segments.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
The problem is there is no comparison between why VW sales dipped and why Holdens have.

VW suffered a drop due to, lets call it a lack of consumer confidence. They didnt completely change the configuration of their most iconic badged model and try and fill a heap of different market segments.

Actually,i can't find a link at the moment but remember reading it,sales increased in some markets,mainly USA i think.Buyers weren't worried about Emissions and thought they were getting bargains with the affected stock,naturally Dealers and Sales Staff ran with it.

Holden can bounce back,the 150 Engineering jobs in Melb. are a start,but people aren't fools,almost every review of the new Models i read mentioned they were Opels,and the Brand is just not acceptable to many car buyers.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
The only buyers they have is rental car company’s and govmint ordered big discount buys,they should have two sales numbers,one for big company’s and one for the suffering public,I bet it would be about six to one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Fords must have done something right, even though they stopped Australian manufacturing their Ranger sales are through the roof in Tas. I see at least 10 a day and that is in a 10 min each way once i get off the bus. If im in town for a few hours or driving around that count can be doubled. This is in a city of less than 90 thousand. There are as many Rangers on the road as VEs now.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Fords must have done something right, even though they stopped Australian manufacturing their Ranger sales are through the roof in Tas. I see at least 10 a day and that is in a 10 min each way once i get off the bus. If im in town for a few hours or driving around that count can be doubled. This is in a city of less than 90 thousand. There are as many Rangers on the road as VEs now.
Rangers look bigger & more intimidating than they really are; in a world where meth & steroids has massively reduced the size of the avrerage tradesman’s penis, a more rageworthy vehicle is more appealing.

Chubba

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV RDL
Mitsubishi stopped manufacture here yonks ago, I don’t get your point?

Off topic a bit but I think Stooge was referring to Macaques. I read somewhere that VW initially wanted to stick humans in a room and make them suck in diesel fumes to prove how harmless their emissions were (we all know the rest of the story) all for marketing purposes. Then someone in VW upper management stepped in and said no, no, no, that could be brand damaging so plan B was to use the closest living species to humans, the poor old Macaque instead. Das Crazy people.
Yet hasn't damaged VW too much which gives a good insight into our species.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/world/europe/volkswagen-diesel-emissions-monkeys.html

I hope Holden are around for a bit longer but that latest news doesn't sound great right now. The Ranger Hilux and Triton seem to have the Colorado's measure too. The Camaro might generate some interest but I cant see them selling a lot @90K. Weather GM have plans to crank up the RHD Camaro and make them more affordable here remains to be seen(that would probably screw over HSV). Might help Holden compete with a 3 star(or3.5?) ANCAP Mustang though. They might not bother and leave Holden flapping in the breeze. Go long spares and tinned baked beans for Armageddon....