Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOLDEN has announced it will offer voluntary redundancies for 500 factory and enginee

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
What this data also demonstrates is how fragmented the Australian market is across all segments. Even the expanding SUV and small car categories are spread over many models thus making it hard for any 1 manufacturer to get traction.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Mpower

Being the best seller in your segment sounds good until you look at the numbers you have quoted.

Best seller for the month of March sells almost four thousand cars and that's a fall from the previous month.

Commodore sells less than half that number for the same month. All the large sedans are selling in VERY small numbers compared to the most popular models. Like I said - Australians don't want large cars anymore unless they are "versatile" or "flexible". (ie SUV's).

Incidentally, whilst not a new model, I own one of those SUV's, having traded a VY sedan in on it. Why? Because I loved the sedan but with grandkids who needed to be strapped in to child seats, and the need to always carry a stroller in the boot, the sedan had become virtually useless and the equivalent wagon was too long for the other half to consider driving. Whilst it isn't perfect, the Captiva is a much more versatile design than the VY ever was.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Thing is with a finite market, the more choices you have, each model gets a smaller slice of the pie. I mean, some makers offer two models in the same segment! Eg. with BMW you get 4 different sized cars and 2 different SUVs and 2 sports cars. With Holden you have 4 different sized cars, an SUV and 2 utilities. Ford has 4 passenger car lines, 2 utes, and a van. Mazda has 3 car lines, 3 SUVs, and a ute. Too much choice, noone can get traction. GM has now basically doubled its lines bringing the Opel brand out here separately (when instead they should be selling them as Holdens, boosting sales over inferior asian products).

In the last 10 years, the cost of small cars remains unchanged due to tariff and the dollar, but large cars have gone up maybe 20% in price.

Would I ever get a small SUV? No. Parents have had 2, have driven them, don't like being up so high. I would view a small corolla/3/Golf as much more driver-orientated anyway. And cheaper.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Mpower

Being the best seller in your segment sounds good until you look at the numbers you have quoted.

Best seller for the month of March sells almost four thousand cars and that's a fall from the previous month.

Commodore sells less than half that number for the same month. All the large sedans are selling in VERY small numbers compared to the most popular models. Like I said - Australians don't want large cars anymore unless they are "versatile" or "flexible". (ie SUV's).

Incidentally, whilst not a new model, I own one of those SUV's, having traded a VY sedan in on it. Why? Because I loved the sedan but with grandkids who needed to be strapped in to child seats, and the need to always carry a stroller in the boot, the sedan had become virtually useless and the equivalent wagon was too long for the other half to consider driving. Whilst it isn't perfect, the Captiva is a much more versatile design than the VY ever was.

kids, an SUV? I would rather die.

I have 2 big V8's (used), and I'm not alone - sure people buy other cars but there will always be a large car segment, it's just not as big as it used to be - SO WHAT?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
kids, an SUV? I would rather die.

I have 2 big V8's (used), and I'm not alone - sure people buy other cars but there will always be a large car segment, it's just not as big as it used to be - SO WHAT?

So what?

So, they are no longer economical to manufacture in Australia and we stop making them.

That's "so what".

Even you didn't apparently buy your cars new, which is what this thread is really all about. Plenty of people buy used Commodores but that doesn't boost new car sales numbers.

Pretty obvious, I would have thought. That hole you have dug in the sand to stick your head in must be pretty deep.

And if you never have kids, well, that's your prerogative.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
So what?

So, they are no longer economical to manufacture in Australia and we stop making them.

That's "so what".

Even you didn't apparently buy your cars new, which is what this thread is really all about. Plenty of people buy used Commodores but that doesn't boost new car sales numbers.

Pretty obvious, I would have thought. That hole you have dug in the sand to stick your head in must be pretty deep.

And if you never have kids, well, that's your prerogative.

Have a good read of this.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/04/car-industry-subsidies-in-perspective/

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK, it was an interesting article but it contained no surprises and nothing I wasn't already aware of. In fact, whilst it broadens the range of problems faced by our manufacturers, it supports my comment above about the economics of maintaining production of cars here.

For our manufacturers to continue designing and building cars in Australia, they have to target the market they are aiming at. As I have said before, Australians are buying large sedans in decreasing numbers, but the sales of boring SUV's (yeah, they are pretty boring - most practical things are), or small sedans or hatchbacks. Holden has already indicated that it is looking at building an SUV on the Commodore production lines once the VF ceases production, perhaps before. Many members of this forum bemoan the loss of Holden eventually, but how many of them have bought a NEW Holden at some stage and done their bit to keep the company viable? Quite a lot, I reckon, but only a small percentage of the total membership of the forum. I have never bought a new Holden, but members of my family have bought several. The fierce depreciation they suffered made them wonder if it had been such a good idea in the first place, although this is common to most makes. Holdens and Fords just seem a bit worse than many others.

The one thing that article outlined which gets under my skin is the comparatively degree of subsidisation our manufacturers get per vehicle or per head of population compared to Euro, Jap and American makers. It is a common statement that Federal and State governments shouldn't be subsidising large foreign owned companies. Our subsidies come in for a lot of public debate and complaint, yet they are peanuts compared to other countries. In addition, we have this half-witted idea of "level playing fields", where we reduce tariffs to the point where they are virtually non-existent, yet other countries maintain higher tariff barriers to protect the local industries. How stupid are we? Whilst high tariffs can lead to over-protection of inefficient industries, which is what we had during the 60's and 70's, prior to the Button Plan, a sensible tariff can provide a modicum of protection without creating a false perception by local makers that they can sell beads to the natives (ie any old thing is good enough). Australians have now had a taste of an enormous range of vehicles from nearly every maker on earth and simply making the same old cars here won't work any longer.

Another protective barrier which has been removed along with reduced tariffs was the guaranteed percentage of the total market that was available to imports. During the 50's and 60's, I think there was a limit of something like 20% of the market being available for imports. Local assembly and manufacture was guaranteed the lion's share of what was a very small market at that time. Free trade and abolition of such barriers has led to a much more open market and local production has suffered as a consequence. Again, it has been the locals reluctance to adopt the more comprehensive marketing strategies of their foreign competitors (ie better equipped cars with more modern technology built in) which has hindered their growth. Until 2004, for example, Holden's mainstream model still ran a pushrod cast iron V6 dating from the 1960's and a four speed automatic transmission of similar vintage, whereas modern foreign vehicles had run multi-cam, alloy engines for years and five and six speed autos were common. Even as recently as only two years ago, that same old obsolete transmission was standard fitment in the cheaper models, many years after is should have been replaced. It has taken too long for our manufacturers to catch up to overseas trends and in many ways, they are still dragging the chain.

I don't begrudge government subsidisation of car makers here and I certainly don't want to see Holden ceasing local design and production and only assembling foreign designs, but the way things are heading, that looks like what the future holds. And that's too bad.

Last edited: