Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden: Hints of Torana

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
+1. Nuff said.

Back then, they made cars designed to last. These days, they're made to last just a few years, so that everyone continues to update and buy new cars. My dad's tonner has over 460,000 kms on the clock, and still going strong, and still a good looking ute. (needs some work tho). And it's just over 30 years old now.

A ve would fall apart before it probably even makes it to 350,000.

EDIT: And what VN2NV said is true too, although I doubt a VE omega could withstand as much thrashing as a lot of VNs have taken.

You do realize that cars go further now, with far less maintenance than they ever have???

Reaper

steve9119

steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
HD VK VY
i think we had a 4 cly car that was a compacted version of the commodore, it was called the camira.

what if the camira carried over the torana name?
would the name ( torana) have been spoilt or would that car have been more popular?

could camira (or 80s torana) have also developed a V6 or turbo version or a 2 door hatch.
the original torana was a small 4 cyl car so how did it evolve to the bigger v8s that won at bathrust?

sorry should this have been a new topic?

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
You do realize that cars go further now, with far less maintenance than they ever have???

Reaper

Yeah, that's probably for the first 4 years (or however long warranty goes for)

What I'm trying to say is, despite all this, I think (at least structurally) cars are built cheaper these days.

Argh **** it, I'll use a one tonner as an example (again).

30 years old, still goin strong and working hard as ever.
New one tonner, simply, plain and simple, could NOT do the same amount of work, full stop, let alone over 30 years and still be goin, more likely been scrapped 20 years earlier.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yeah, that's probably for the first 4 years (or however long warranty goes for)

What I'm trying to say is, despite all this, I think (at least structurally) cars are built cheaper these days.

Argh **** it, I'll use a one tonner as an example (again).

30 years old, still goin strong and working hard as ever.
New one tonner, simply, plain and simple, could NOT do the same amount of work, full stop, let alone over 30 years and still be goin, more likely been scrapped 20 years earlier.

The One Tonner was a truck - you would expect it to be built tough and simple, which it was. It was the simplicity of old Holdens that let them go forever - if they hadn't suffered from rust, many more of them would probably still be running around.

You can have your argument about cars not being built like they used to. I've had enough old Holdens to know that I'm thankful they don't build them like that anymore.

Earlier on, one member claimed that the VN was a better looking car than the VE...did I read that correctly?

The VN LOOKS like a 20 year old car. It has design features which dated it very quickly. About the only thing I can say in its favour is that it looked better than the model which replaced it. Now, the VP - that was ugly.

The idea of "retro" design won't work in Australia - our market is too small. Designing a new Torana to have design traits of the old models wouldn't work in any potential export market, where the Torana nameplate means absolutely nothing. And which model would you "retro-style" from - LJ/LC, which was clearly more stylish, or the dull as dishwater LH?LX?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
And which model would you "retro-style" from - LJ/LC, which was clearly more stylish, or the dull as dishwater LH?LX?

UC FTW :wax::yeah::w00t:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
UC FTW :wax::yeah::w00t:

Well, I could have included the UC with the LH/LX, and there is no doubt that front and rear on, it looked better, but the car was still the LH shape and very dull.

I can't imagine how you could ever "retro" the LH shape - it had nothing particularly distinctive about it to work with today.

The LC/LJ had a sleeker profile, but again, what is there to work with for a retro look?

Nope, a retro Torana won't happen.

The name could well be revived for the Aussie market only, with any exports going out under the Chev banner with some corporate name like Cruze (yuk).

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Back in the late 80s if you had a UC you were the laughing stock of everyone else (that had LH/X) if you said you had a UC Torana half the world would say EH"? excuse me that is NOT a Torana a Sunbird don't you mean:?:p. They have redeemed themself these days since now they aren't all V8less steamers.

VN's are better looking than VE's no doubt about it right now let alone in 20 years time. Follow beside a VN down the freeway and study where all the lines on the car go compared to the wheel arches and perpective of the whole thing, then compare it to a VE doing the same thing. The VE's look like they were drawn by picasso on a bad day, nothing lines up with anything and the wheel arches are just plan wrong

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I saw that stocky, he's just deluded :) you just have to live with that. You know for the first 5 years of my wife knowing English she thought deluded and diluted were the same word. I just thought it was her accent :p all fixed now haha. She knew the definition of diluted too. So she would be like YOUR DILUTED! as an insult to your opinion being watered down and not all there and it kinda made sense :p

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X, 1997 SII Calais .
:rofl::rofl: . You talk about the VE being a cheaper car and weaker build than a VN ..... What a bunch of Crap ! And you all call yourselves Holden supporters when all you have done is take the **** out of them in this whole thread .

And you guys are saying that the VN looks better than the VE Omega ???? I bet in 10 - 15 years time a whole new bunch of holden drivers will be saying my VE looks a sheet load better than the new commodore !

Commodore lovers indeed :bang: