Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden IQ - Problems - Can the system be rebooted, reset, or restarted?

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Cruisin68, May 20, 2011.

1. Cruisin68

Cruisin68 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sportswagon
    Picked up my new sportswagon four weeks ago and the IQ system worked without any problems at all - until now. Half the time it will now only allow access to the radio and no other source , or on occassions it won't recognise the reversing camera, will no longer pair with my phone, or won't play music from the USB port. On the rare occasions where the reversing camera will work the guideance lines are now in the wrong location and there is static/lines over the screen.

After years of buying Holdens and having a couple of disasters with a new Monaro and then a new Statesman I moved to the dark side (Ford) with no issues for years - now back to Holden with this sportswagon and wish I'd stayed with the blue oval - at least they address their problems............... After a little research I now find that Holden have had these issues with their IQ system since it was launced - and they are still selling it with the same problems not being fixed (obviously quality and customer satisfaction haven't moved up their list at all). At least the timing was good - we had to make a decision to update out fleet of cars at work this week - They were going to be Sportswagons but we'll get another batch of Toyota Klugers (you just put the key in and everything works.....and keeps on working).

Does anyone know how to reboot/restart/reset the IQ system, or have access to the software the dealer can apparently re-install (I believe they re-install the software by placing it onto a USB key)? Is there a combination of buttons to press to force a re-boot like what can be done to enter the engineering mode for the dash?.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to help.......

2. JOTA

JOTA New Member

Members Ride:
    Series II SV6 Ute
    Holden have recently sent out a letter to customers who purchased a vehicle between Oct 10 and April 11. The have updated the software for the system. Got the update done today, it's so much better now

3. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200 Landcruiser
    I don't know how to reboot the system beyond turning the car off, opening/closing the door and then starting the car again. In the 10.000km I have run the IQ system (HSV version) it has failed to boot on 2 starts and fails to pair with my iPhone 5% of the time. Usually the procedure described above fixes the problem.

I received a letter from Holden advising of a update to the IQ system which includes various bug fixes and telephone upgrades during the week. I haven't been to upgrade it yet but would expect an improvement.

If I were you I'd return to your friendly Holden dealer for an update.

Reaper

4. mint

mint New Member

Members Ride:
    VE
    Yeah, the moral to the story, Ford look after their customers as though they want to keep them. Holden are still trying to work this concept out, hence the need for this forum.

Don't make the same mistake again!o)

5. RiCeY

RiCeY F O R U M W A R R I O R

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 470rwhp
    The update is done with a usb key and SD card while connected to the usual online update process through the GM network so its not something you can do at home unfortunately.

As for rebooting perhaps pull the fuse/s for the radio and leave them out for a while. May or may not work...

6. Cruisin68

Cruisin68 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Sportswagon
    Hi everyone. Thanks for the info. The dealer installed the software update yesterday and the system is working again - I guess we'll see where it goes from here................... I had planned to change speakers, add an amp and a sub but have now thrown this idea out the window - If there are ongoing IQ problems I don't want Holden to claim the modifications have voided their warranty.

7. Robdak

Robdak New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute Thunder
    Holden iq is such a joke! I can't believe I paid $40000 for a brand new ute and can't even turn the heater on because stupid iq won't even turn on. No radio! No maps! No display! I'm gonna sue these mongrels and get my money back. I've only ever owned Holdens, this is the first new one and its by far the worst product they've ever produced, it goes well when it feels like starting. And that update is rubbish it does absolutely f@&k all. At the end of the day the unit is cheap Korean garbage and should never have been released to the public! I can't see out windows! I'm gonna die on the road in the rain because my iq and hunter Holden do not wanna know me

8. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200 Landcruiser
    I presume you have been back to the dealer and enquired about rectifying the problem?

9. kato128

kato128 Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS-V
    To be honest I've found Holden's after sales support to be fantastic compared to Ford. They've fixed every issue I've had first go. Ford didn't want to know about issues with my falcon even when it was a company car and money was no object.

As far as resetting the IQ. There's no need to open the door, just switch the engine off and restart it and it'll reset the iq system.

10. duca1991

duca1991 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Executive
    Wrong, if you just turn the keys off and turn it on again, it still has stored memory and comes on within a split second.
    The only time i can get my IQ working again when it stuffs up is leave the car off for 5 minutes then start it up again and its fine

11. kato128

kato128 Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS-V
    Wow that's pretty hectic. I've always been able to resolve any iq glitch I've had (reverse camera not turning on/off, frozen or black display, no audio) simply by turning the motor off and back on.

12. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Try removing the key from the ignition switch, then re-insert and start the car.

13. R60

R60 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE S2 SS Sportwagon
    Turning the car on and off has worked for me every time except the last time, the only way I could get the system back to normal was to pull the entertaiment system fuse out down next to the battery, waited 5-10 seconds put it back in and all was good.

14. duca1991

duca1991 Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Executive
    Hmm interesting posts. Well i think the issue im having is slightly different maybe. I mean, If i get a USB Device error, just turning the key off, pulling it out and then putting it in again, following by starting the car. Does not fix the issue. I think its something to do with memory. LIke it remembers the Device error or something preventing it from working still. After i leave it off for awhile its fine. But recently on another thread someone told me to change brand of usb. I've been using a different one so far. Iv turned the car on and off 20 - 30 times since and iv had no error. Maybe the Old USB was doing it?

15. stubec16

stubec16 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's related and can I ask of my issue is normal.

When I use radio and turn the car off, next time I start it comes on at the same station.
    When I use USB media, and while driving go back to radio it goes back to the same station.
    If I have been using USB and turn the car off, next time I start, it comes back on at the same song on the USB, BUT if I then go back to radio (after having the car off), it has forgotten my last station and goes to some lame AM station which is first on the list.

Is it normal for the IQ to forget my last radio station if the car is turned off while using other media?

Thanks.