Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden is totally dead... Little Lost on next steps.

lukesteveo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE
Hey there,

I own a 2008 Holden Commodore Omega. The other day I decided to replace my remote keypad and battery which were both on their last legs. I thought I was all clever ordering the part on ebay and replacing the elements after watching a rather simple youtube video.

I took the remote out to the car. Tested to make sure it work.... which it did. Unlocked and relocked the car and thought to myself how clever I was.

About two days later I walked up to my car and hit the remote... Nothing.. It would not unlock or relock. After testing it in a number of places I decided to try another battery. I replace the battery but it had no effect on making the remote work again.

I then proceeded to open the driver side door with my keys and start engine. It seems that I can manually open the door but when I put my keys in the ignition and turn the barrel nothing happens. Completely dead. I also noticed I cannot unlock the boot with the button located in the glove box.

I called Holden today and they told me that the key has probably lost its code. So they would need me to bring in both the keys and the car to get the codes for me. When I told them that I could not start the car to bring it they suggested that I call NRMA to see what they could do otherwise I would need to tow the car to the holden dealer.

My question is.. Do I really need to tow my car to the holden dealer? This is the only way to resolve this situation. Is it normal that you cannot drive the car if the remote does not work? Does the immobiliser completely disable the car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am currently stuck without my car feeling like an idiot.

Luke

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Is it normal that you cannot drive the car if the remote does not work? Does the immobiliser completely disable the car?

ummmm Yes

So you locked your car and engauged the alarm system with your correctly coded remote. You wiped your remotes coding and now you can't disengauge your alarm and therefore disabling your entire cars electric system. Until you disable that alarm system you won't be able to start the car again. So unless you have a spare key??? Book a tow truck and take it to Holden, and don't DIY on the remote again

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
The remote on the ve is only for the central locking and alarm there is a transponder chip seperate from the buttons inside the key for the immobiliser did the alarm go off when u opened the door and shut off when u put the key in the ign if there was a immobiliser fault it would tell you on the dash when the key was inserted

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Try disconnecting your car battery for a couple hours, it helped my recent key issues.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
The remote on the ve is only for the central locking and alarm there is a transponder chip seperate from the buttons inside the key for the immobiliser did the alarm go off when u opened the door and shut off when u put the key in the ign if there was a immobiliser fault it would tell you on the dash when the key was inserted

True story. VR to VZ had a data code system. VE saw the introduction of your more common transponder based immobilizer. If there is a fault with the immobilizer it will tell you in the display. If it simply doesn't recognize the key... It just won't start. Once upon a time on other models we would still get all the dash lights up but on the VE.... Nadda. Your off to Holden sorry.

Although, have you checked the internals of the key again? Is the transponder still in the right spot (although it can't move, it could've dislodged.)

lukesteveo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE
ummmm Yes

So you locked your car and engauged the alarm system with your correctly coded remote. You wiped your remotes coding and now you can't disengauge your alarm and therefore disabling your entire cars electric system. Until you disable that alarm system you won't be able to start the car again. So unless you have a spare key??? Book a tow truck and take it to Holden, and don't DIY on the remote again

So I actually changed the battery in the remote. Then opened and locked the car after it was changed. So the remote was working. But now it's not. It seems weird that the codes would just decide to disappear after I had already checked and they works?

I guess my question was whether is possible my car battery died for some strange reason and that's why nothing including the boot now works in my car.

lukesteveo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE
Nothing happened when I opened the car... It was simply dead. No alarm and nothing in the dash lights up when the key is in the ignition. Is there not some light that is supposed to flash when the car is locked with the immobiliser?

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
It sounds like a flat battery there is jump points in the engine bay and there is a cable boot release if u pull the centre seat down to open the boot

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
No interior lights?

As stated.... Flat battery.