Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

holden issued ecm code incorrect

Vzwagone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina wagon
G`day all, new to forum, seeking knowledge. I purchased a used, VZ 2004 , L E O alloytec v6 205000ks, did everything fine prior to purchase, had small heater valve leak , no big issue. approximately 900 kms later had misfire at idle, quickly got worse missed at stable revs on highway , cruise enabled. fine under accelleration, for next 100 or so ks,not getting hot using very little coolant, 500 ml in 250ks
then worse , using , 500ml coolant short trip,10kms , pushing all to overflow ,on highway ,if I let it ,[I wouldn`t], on longer trip 150 plus k`s, I never let it overheat, as I was continually checking fluids, I live approx 3 hours from city, & needed to learn if it was reliable enough, it wasnt.
was told about this forum so had a look,

replaced radiator, heater pipe control valve, o2 sensors, checked coils [all fine]
pressure tested cooling system, [Leaking down.]

signs pointed to a head gasket problem ,& slight rattle to timing chains on cold morning start, I decided to have it reconditioned.
done locally due to distance from Perth.

replaced, big ends, gudgeon pins, pistons, & rings, welch plugs, all seals & gaskets , Head bolts, full timing chain & gear set, guides & tensioner`s , water pump, coolant cap, radiator hoses, thermostat

upon completion - engine starts, runs, drives, holds coolant, But still misfires

still no codes are shown , no check engine light on.

read more of forum, then consult holden dealer , common opinion, ecu faulty.

workshop purchase ecu, gain code from holden for old ecu,

snap`on scantool plugged in for removal, code entered, Incorrect code , consult your local holden dealer, workshop consults holden dealer , they say that`s the code,
they are willing to look at it, at hourly rate,
the nearest is about 2 hrs away, & I would not be wise to drive it, so that means a tilt tray, from somewhere else, to here, then there, & return on hourly rate.

Question; If thats the code , why wont it work, & if its incorrect code, why does the car start , run , & drive, with no fault codes, { dtc`s ,is it ? } coming up ? .

also is there another way of finding the code for ecu on scantool, or elsewhere ? as I have read enough to understand , I cant replace the ecu without the right code, & holden say for sure , they supplied the right code. we only get 8 tries, & I think were half way.

sorry its a long thread, but I though the full story may be important.
With thanks in advance for all & any help.

Vzwagone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina wagon
Thanks, 99notout,
I wasn't expecting a reply so fast
The information you gave me is the exact same as the workshop gave me on paper to read through
So I expect, that they're following that correctly
I don't know if they have added the zeros,
I will ask asap ,
My mistake on 8 times for pim
Not ecm,
So, does that mean 8 Successful resets , before needing replacement
Cheers,Vzwagone .

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
workshop purchase ecu, gain code from holden for old ecu,

snap`on scantool plugged in for removal, code entered, Incorrect code , consult your local holden dealer, workshop consults holden dealer , they say that`s the code,
they are willing to look at it, at hourly rate,
Question; If thats the code , why wont it work, & if its incorrect code, why does the car start , run , & drive, with no fault codes, { dtc`s ,is it ? } coming up ?

I'm betting the reason the security code for your VIN number won't work is the ECU + PIM + BCM installed in your car are from a donor car and without having the security code for the car they came out of you are screwed.
Have a look on ebay, you'll find wrecking yards selling module sets from cars as a cheaper alternative to replacing a faulty ECU for example.
Just replace all three linked modules and your car is back in action.

Vzwagone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina wagon
Thanks also,DavesSv6tonner,
Thats food for thought,
I wondered if ecm was from donor
Prior to reading a Lot on this forum
Concluding that it just shouldn't even run
Hadn't thought about all 3 being donors, I guess it's possible.
I will start at the start, & if that fails
Will consider your suggestion an option.
Cheers Vzwagone.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I would remove the ECU, PIM & BCM from the vehicle and see if someone may have written the applicable security code on one of them.

Here's a set for sale for $220. I see they are providing the donor vehicles VIN number so the purchaser can obtain the correct security code from Holden.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VZ-COMMODORE-ECU-KIT-449ECU-588MID-030PIM/283225403311?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=57481&meid=51175b68de6647a6887dd004dcdde668&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=173831254621&itm=283225403311&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I believe it is the most plausible reason why the security code assigned to your vehicle during production comes up as invalid.

Last edited:

Vzwagone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina wagon
Yes, I guess it's worth looking
I will suggest that to them as well
Cheers again

Vzwagone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina wagon
g'day all,
just to let you know how I went,
so far have tried the suggestion's given me, with thanks.
have not solved the problem yet.
scantool confirms the car's vin when plugged in,
yet won.t accept the code .

time to remove computers, test & repair or replace,

cheers.