Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden LS1 Alternators keep failing

Aaronthestig

Reaction score
Website
www.aaronmarine.co.nz
Members Ride
VYII CALAIS V8
Hi all

I have had some issues with my alternator over and undercharging.
Originally my factory alternator stopped charging wad was smoking so this was replaced with an aftermarket alternator.
Since this, I have been through 4 alternators.

3 of the alternators would overcharge and the current alternator stops charging once you get over 4000 rpm.
Slowly this alternator has been getting worse until it has now stopped charging.

I have replaced the battery, cables from the battery to the alternator and the alternator.

The car has been used a bit at the track so it does get a good thrash now and then.
Also has an aftermarket sub, stereo, and speakers and has a tune with exhaust and intake.

Any help would be much appreciated with this as I have run out of ideas.

Fu Manchu

Septic Tank Pump Operator
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slug powered VZ, Cross 8 VZ, & ya mum.
Eagle auto spares had some genuine ones for $400.
I did find (8mths ago) replacement internal bits while looking for an alternator. Mine wasn’t looking so good so gave it a miss. Needed a new body. I wish I could recall where I found them. They are out there.

Aaronthestig

Reaction score
Website
www.aaronmarine.co.nz
Members Ride
VYII CALAIS V8
Eagle auto spares had some genuine ones for $400.
I did find (8mths ago) replacement internal bits while looking for an alternator. Mine wasn’t looking so good so gave it a miss. Needed a new body. I wish I could recall where I found them. They are out there.

Cheers, ill have a look, the I need to try and find out why it keeps destroying alternators, don't really want to put a new one on just to have the same issue. Cheers

Fu Manchu

Septic Tank Pump Operator
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slug powered VZ, Cross 8 VZ, & ya mum.
Well they might be **** alternators, that’s why.