Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden market share in free fall.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Well it’s got to the point where dealers are revolting

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/national-icon-driven-around-the-bend-20180413-p4z9gs.html

And who could blame them. Since the VEII facelift, GMH has lacked a long term focus and vision. For too long it had its eggs in one basket, one or two biggish selling locally made models that the rest of the range hung off.

The locally made flagship is gone, and I’d be surprised if the new Commodore is around in 12 months time. Sure, it might be a fine mid sized car, but the mid sized market isn’t selling great right now. And, the Mazda6, Mondeo, new imported Camry, Accord etc are also all perfectly fine mid sized cars.

Holden’s approaches to marketing have utterly failed. The approach to the LGBTI issue was insane as it turned off many rusted on buyers, and the target audience saw it for the BS that it truly was. Then there is Willy nilly discounting and stupidly long warranty periods. The 4 brands who are currently doing quite well - Mazda, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia - don’t have to resort to ad hoc, cynical measures to kick start things. No, they all have a well crafted model lineup that the people want.

As a Holden enthusiast, I am disgusted with what has once happened to the brand that I hold dear. I am thankful I have my VT to remind me what it was like when Holden wasn’t run by a chimpanzee on weed.....

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I have my VT to remind me what it was like when Holden wasn’t run by a chimpanzee on weed.....

LOL, I agree, but people like us are also the failure of Holden.

We kept our Holden too long, we didn't upgrade and most of the marketing department weren't born when the VT concept was conceived.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well they've essentially closed the business, the real Holden business as it were, so no surprise they've shot themselves in the balls sales wise.
Funny you say we kept our Commodores too long (obviously because they are such good cars and go forever) when I used to hear so many Aussies say they wouldn't buy a commodore because they weren't reliable. Unfortunately, It's is stupid Aussies who have screwed our own American Aussie car over one way or another. Probably before it was even born by selling Holden out to the Yanks and giving them the power. Now let it burn I say, just turn the dealerships into spare parts stores. That's all I'll be going there for unless they bring the Cadillac!

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
LOL, I agree, but people like us are also the failure of Holden.

We kept our Holden too long, we didn't upgrade and most of the marketing department weren't born when the VT concept was conceived.

That’s an interesting point. I’ve bought 4 new cars in my driving career and none of them were locally produced.
- too expensive (my purchases were all sub 25k)
- too big (A corolla/i30/Mazda3 sized car is big enough for me)
- for my current daily car (‘15 Mazda3) I could have got the locally made Cruze, but I wasn’t impressed on the test drive, and sales person was an arsehole.

fxxxrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL statesman FX holden EH holden
yet they all still collect millions in "performance " bonus's I always thought performance meant getting better not worse

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Maybe if they hadn't burned all their bridges with the people that bought Holden they may have had more of a chance. I mean all the ad's they were running were bagging their own loyal purchasers. How many LBGTI people have bought a Holden this year??? I for one will not be buying a Holden again because and i quote from their ad "i just don't want to drive a car that my dad drives".

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Maybe if they hadn't burned all their bridges with the people that bought Holden they may have had more of a chance. I mean all the ad's they were running were bagging their own loyal purchasers. How many LBGTI people have bought a Holden this year??? I for one will not be buying a Holden again because and i quote from their ad "i just don't want to drive a car that my dad drives".
Couldnt agree more.
Holden dealers ships are going to struggle

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Couldnt agree more.

absolutely , the lot at my local Holdem dealer is chocka with vehicles , although having said that I've have noticed a few ZB Commodores about the town , so they have sold some , and the local constables are due to get some as well , VXR's mainly.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Couldnt agree more.
images

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Meh, Holden's final nail in their coffin was delivered by General Motors when they decided to shut down car manufacturing in Australia. The 2 main things that Holden have had to fight is the arrogance that General Motors runs with thinking they know all about the Australian consumer and their attitude of dumping unwanted models on us instead of things we may be interested in and secondly is they do not care about the Australian market at all and aren't bothered if they ceased selling cars here, they are more interested in the Chinese market. Unfortunately it's another case of a great Australian company being destroyed by Americans. General Motor needs to pull their head out of their arse and sell Holden to somebody who actually wants it to succeed in this country again, that is if anybody would be willing to take it over now.