Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden market share in free fall.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Whose company????

Did you read your own words?

If Holden was just re-badging cars from other companies (and charging customers a premium for that) then we are better off buying the original brand. Why should that company be maximising its profits from our wallets with our approval.

If Holden moved manufacturing off shore it may have survived, that's what I'm saying. Having our own brand built in another country to the same standards is maximising profits. There are a lot of manufacturers that do this exact thing.

How many companies rebadge their cars for different markets? Works for them. When Holden were exporting, they weren't sold in those other countries as Holdens. What's the difference between what Chev were doing with the VE? Called it a Lumina and the Statesman the Caprice.

Just think about this - Years ago you were either Holden or Furd - Footy or Football - Meat pie or Choko roll, Then along came Toyota.
Toyota proved you could manufacture cars in Australia and make a go of it - why - Strong effective management .
Point is - in a few years time Holden will be just a distant memory whereas Toyota and others will still be going strong. But - who will proudly identify with say - Mazda - or Kia!

Toyota already had a factory in Japan that was successful, Holden only had Australia.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
If Holden moved manufacturing off shore it may have survived, that's what I'm saying. Having our own brand built in another country to the same standards is maximising profits. There are a lot of manufacturers that do this exact thing.

How many companies rebadge their cars for different markets? Works for them. When Holden were exporting, they weren't sold in those other countries as Holdens. What's the difference between what Chev were doing with the VE? Called it a Lumina and the Statesman the Caprice.

Toyota already had a factory in Japan that was successful, Holden only had Australia.

Also the fact that Toyota is owned by Toyota and not General Motors

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Well expect a strong bounce in ZB sales this month. Rumour is that Holden is liquidating all it's company fleet to the dealers to flog on the second hand market this month. They will be reflected as sales, all be it artificial ones.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
If Holden moved manufacturing off shore it may have survived

They may as well be another importer, I don't see the difference between Holden bringing in all their cars that are manufactured overseas and Mazda Australia bringing in all their cars that are manufactured overseas. Why call it a Holden if it is a GM Chevrolet. That extra cost of changing the badge, just to create the millions of dollars that the faux Aussie management payroll needs.... not worth it. Just bring them in as RHD Chevrolet and sell them cheaper.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A few manufacturers were "jumping into bed" with each other, to try and open up their options....eg Nissan/Ford....Ford/Mazda as well as Holden/Toyota....And I think Ford/Nissan were the first...So honestly can people say this was part of the demise of Holden?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
A few manufacturers were "jumping into bed" with each other, to try and open up their options....eg Nissan/Ford....Ford/Mazda as well as Holden/Toyota....And I think Ford/Nissan were the first...So honestly can people say this was part of the demise of Holden?

No , in reality, Holden failed itself

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
not in total but i think GMH made poor choices in rebadging Daewoo and calling it a Holden. So many problems with Daewoos it ain't funny. At least with other car makers they chose manufacturers that make a decent product on the most part.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes, or run joint development projects like the Toyota 86 / BRZ, and Ford Ranger Mazda BT50 to share the development cost. Ok Ford and Mazda are owned by the same mob but still.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
I agree with Not an Abba Fan. Australia couldn't support car manufacturing on low profit margins. Our population has for a long time not been able to sell enough vehicles locally to make manufacturing viable. Holden since the late 80s relied on exports to keep the business making money. I dare say export numbers must have fallen although I can not confirm that. I only know what we studied at uni in the early 2000's when it really became Holden was going to eventually close. The Gov's pumped millions over many years into Holden to keep them operating. IMO I think Holden was always going to struggle in a market swamped with cheap imports across the world. A mid ranged price car in todays market is going to be hard sell, especially when you can get decent European cars at not a great deal more than Holden's which lets face it were not built for longevity, since the H series ended. The cars that are big sellers down here and have been for years are small SUV's, large SUV's, dual cab utes and small - med cars that have demonstated themselves as being reliable in the long-term. Very few people would say a bad thing about Toyota's, yet 100s of people I have worked with and befriended would say Holden's are really just cheap junk. IMO it's only the die-hard fans who actually believe Holden's are a high quality product. If people disagree, then I say stiff sht, because if Holden's were built well we wouldn't be seeing 100s of threads with people having issues with VE's and VF's which are still relatively new compared to some other brands that have older cars that still have relatively few problems...
I noticed someone said it's the fault of Australian citizens Holden folded but really new car sales on lot of brands have fallen over the years because it is becoming increasingly hard to buy a brand new car because very few people can afford them. And lets face it a new car is a pretty poor investment, given the moment you drive out the show room you lose $4k.
Holden trying to reidentify themselves with a car that looks like a Mondeo or Mazda I think is a recipe for disaster. IMHO they would have been better off keeping something like the VF but build it in the States where it can be made a lot cheaper simply because of the numbers they can produce and sell locally as well as export. On another note I drove past Motors Holden yesterday on the bus and I saw a fair few brand new cars in the yard; only thing was I couldn't tell if they were the new "Commodore" as they like to call it or if they were another brand, as everything looked the same.
Holden was doing the right thing with exporting the Monaro to USA and building the big VE was to do with selling it to the USA, but Obama started printing money and that made our Dollar rise up and this destroyed the market exporting utes and sedans to the USA, if the Aussie Dollar was high Holden would of made half it's Commodores for export to the USA.

Toyota Australia sold more Camry to export than Holden did, I think they made more cars as well.

A new car is a good investment, but it depends on for whom, if you do low km well you have to swallow that but if you do high km well it could be a good investment.
Boy I could get $6000 off a new car, why the hell would I bother looking around only pay top dollar for a second hand job that's not exactly what I want.

I remember people who bought new cars every year back in the late 70's early 80's oh they got good resale but had to fork out much for the new car due to high inflation, now we have low inflation they complain about loosing on resale but they are paying f all more for the new car, so one has to put that factor into account.
It comes down to can you afford it or not or is it the right thing to do with your business or desires.

I think Holden got to rad like the younger generation and started to loose the plot looking to stupid conceptions and off with the pixies gay type BS worship, utes made for dreamers and toffs not for work and crowing about such BS that lacks worthy foundations.

Most Aussie were and are getting like the USA thinking all is sweet and make claims we are a wealthy Nation don't you know, and this moronic trash coming from dole bludgers as well as pricks who have never ran a business or if they did they were hopeless and full of **** anyway. f uck we can't even fund the old age pension anymore you moronic f whits ! but we roll out the red carpet to all the lowlife trash and treat them morons like Royalty.
Look at the USA rooted bankrupt even Putin says they are total fools who want to go down the same tract that will only lead them to become Communist and it's true as that was the path they were on until Trump came in and all the brainwashed little twerps crying that their Satanic Hellary Clinton did not get in to destroy America.
If you have no manufacturing capacity your f -cked as a Nation.